Dukakis Speaks at Kennedy School

Former Governor, Presidential Candidate Focuses on Domestic Issues

By Maya E. Fischhoff, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Massachusetts governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee Michael S. Dukakis--speaking to approximately 600 people at the Kennedy School of Government last night--said that the U.S. must first solve its domestic problems before Americans can commit to a stronger presence abroad.

In a brief lecture that was part historical critique and part stump speech for Democratic presidential nominee Gov. Bill Clinton, Dukakis painted poignant picture of a nation mistrustful of its leaders and frightened of the future.

"The seemingly endless conflict between East and West...is over," said Dukakis, "and we have won." But instead of being proud and confident, he said, "we seem to be having a kind of collective nervous breakdown."

Democracy may be sweeping the world, said Dukakis, but most Americans see their society unravelling: Wracked by problems in the economy, health care, education and welfare.

"The Presidency is drifting, Congress is paralyzed," and Americans have lost their trademark national optimism, Dukakis said.

"Americans are good and generous people," said Dukakis. "They care about their neighbors. But they also have a right to an economic system that demonstrates fairness."

Without a new social order, said the former governor, Americans are unwilling to commit resources abroad.

"I'm not talking about a new isolationism," he said. "I am [saying]...that unless we start taking care of our problems at home, we will never fulfill our destiny abroad."

President Bush lacks a coherent vision beyond his own reelection, said Dukakis, who made little effort to conceal his political bias.

"The reason I think Bill Clinton's going to win the election is because he appeals to a broad range of Americans who work for a living, trying to bring up their children and be responsible citizens," he said. "They, frankly, have been screwed for the last 12 years and are only now beginning to realize that."

In his speech and questions afterwards, Dukakis exhorted the audience to vote and to become politically involved. He painted a vivid picture of political obligations.

"Nothing pains me more these days than to hear people talk about their government as though it was something foisted on them by a foreign power," he said. "My friends, this is our government. We created it, we elected the president and the Congress."

"For heaven's sake, don't sit on the sidelines and complain," he told the crowd of students, many of whom were dangling their legs over the upper balconies of the ARCO Forum. "Think about devoting yourselves to a life of public service."