European Flower Store Opens On Bow Street

Area Competition Doesn't Worry Manager

By Hugh G. Eakin

The acrid, urban stench of motor vehicle exhaust will be attenuated today by the sweet aroma of blossoming flowers at the corner of Bow and Plympton Streets.

Bow Street Flowers, a new flower shop on the corner of Bow Street and Plympton street, plans to open today, according to its manager Serge Delisle.

The store will try to be "a little different" than other flower shops, Delisle said. It will offer dried flowers, gifts, and art pieces with floral subjects, as well as a variety of cut flowers.

The "Euro style" shop will appeal to clients looking for "one beautiful flower" instead of "balloons or tacky bouquets," Delisle said.

The shop is located in the space vacated by the Edo Art Gallery, now on Newbury Street in Boston. Delisle described the location next to the Hurst Gallery and across from the Lampoon Castle as a "beautiful setting, very European."

Asked why the store is opening the day before Thanksgiving, Delisle characterized the event as a "soft opening" preceding the official Grand Opening, scheduled for Sunday, December 5.

The store will also emphasize versatility, offering products ranging from the "inexpensive to the expensive." Citing the ecletic and international population of Harvard Square, Delisle hopes to offer "something for everybody."

The interior of the building will have a decor suited to its products. Delislesays both the expansive 9-foot windows and thehigh ceilings add to a tasteful ambiance. He alsosays the shop will contain many 19th centuryantiques and garden ornaments.

Delisle expressed no worry about potentialcompetition arising with the four other HarvardSquare florists. Delisle, formerly of the DutchFlower Garden, draws on 20 years of experience inthe flower business in Harvard Square. He said hisalternative approach will set him apart formcompetitors.

Delisle said he is confident he can drawcustomers from the other stores. He compared theflower business to the restaurant business,stating that just as clients do not alwaysfrequent the same restaurant, they visit differentflower shops depending on their needs. Above all,Delisle said he believes that "how you do things"is what sets his shop apart from others.

The shop owner ultimately envisions the shop asbecoming a "very nice little spot" in the Square,a tasteful part of the local fabric