P.C. CORNER

Safeguard Your Secrets

By Haibin Jiu

Now that you've gained e-mail mastery, it's time to go a step further in our exploration of UNIX.

The next fascinating feature of UNIX for most people is Usenet, or more commonly known as "net news." While Usenet still poses no challenge to Dan Rather, Connie Chung or Larry King in educating America (and the world), Usenet has become vastly popular.

Usenet is not your average 6 p.m. news program. Open 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, it has no official commercials. And, at least here at Harvard, it's free, uncensored and fully accessible.

Usenet can be best described as an electronic news bulletin, much like the hundreds of bulletin board systems used by computer hackers around the world. But Usenet comes free with most Internet accounts, and most of those who use it are not computer nerds.

Usenet is also global in nature: whatever you post is just as likely to be read by someone in Santa Fe, N.M., as by somebody in Singapore--provided, of course, that your posted article is politically correct in the eyes of the Singaporan government.

This last point needs amplification. Internet, the global computer network which links millions of users from around the world, makes Usenet available at most of its sites. What is available on each Usenet server, however, varies from location to location.

There are hundreds of news groups (once again, a better name may be bulletin boards) on the Usenet. As many groups deal with such sensitive issues as free speech, legalization of marijuana and human (as well as non-human) sexual behavior, many UNIX system administrators feel obliged to shield their users from these potential hot spots.

Fortunately, here at Harvard we are able to access nearly all Usenet groups out there, meaning students can participate in intense debates over the North America Free Trade Agreement, or share their appreciation of German beer with others.

Some news groups, primarily of technical nature, are moderated, meaning whatever you write is first submitted to a (human) moderator for inspection and then, if it's okay, posted on the group. The main purpose of moderation is to prevent false information from reaching the Usenet.

Still, most groups are fully open to anyone who wishes to voice their opinions--or to read some dirty and politically incorrect jokes. This open environment often results in what Usenetters refer to as flame wars. Some posts vehemently advocate extreme points of view to intentionally instigate a war of four-letter words.

Flames are in fact a very common Usenet phenomenon. The reason is simple: users of Usenet come from different backgrounds and because discussion is done without being face-to-face, those who disagree often disregard debate etiquette and let their emotions rage. After all, why do I care if the feelings of the person with Internet address "jiul@husc.harvard.edu" get hurt or not?

Well, I may have sounded all this while as if Usenet is just another example of low-life computer users abusing the power of technology. In fact, just the opposite is true. Usenet can be friendly and informative, but it has flaws only because it's used by so many people of so many different kinds.

One group I have found useful is comp.sys.laptops, where laptop computer users get together to share the joys and woes of owning lug-around systems. Many also look here for insider tips on purchasing or maintaining laptops.

Another group is harvard.general. As its name indicates, it's the Harvard Club of Usenet. Here members (read: students) of the Harvard community discuss issues of local concern such as the campus-wide high-speed data network and PCs vs. Macs.

Since its inception nearly a decade ago, the number of Usenet users has grown from two to tens of thousands. Whether it's advice on traveling in India or latest news on supercomputer design you are

Haibin Jiu '94, associate photography chair of The Crimson, is the former president of the Harvard Computer Society. His column appears Tuesdays.

Breaking News