FM Farwells

June Shih '94

By Molly B. Confer

Her Headline: Balance is important

Home: Quincy House and Alexandria, Virginia

Concentration: East Asian Studies.

Et cetera: Yes, she was born in June.

Her pick for the sexiest man alive: I have lust in my heart for Jimmy Carter.

Why Jimmy and not, say, Daniel Day Lewis: Well, he's a bleeding-heart liberal who does something about it. I like that. On a visceral, esthetic level, Daniel Day works for me. But I haven't done anything about it.

Why she wanted to be co-editor of Fifteen Minutes: To foment positive social change.

Best thing about the job: Co-ruling my own queendom.

Worst thing about the job: 4 a.m. the morning of a seminar presentation, sitting up with the Imagesetter, begging it, coaxing it, pleading with it to print the FM pages.

Why 'easy listening' is underrated: To be quite honest, I don't know. I guess there are too many intellectual snobs out there who don't stop and take time to allow themselves to be moved, touched by beautiful music. I mean, I think only the coldest of cold hearts would not be moved by Jeffrey Osborne's "On the Wings of Love."

Finest slow song of all time: Cowboy Junkies' "Blue Moon Revisted."

Whether she'd describe herself as a 'meat and potatoes kind of gal': Yes, definitely. Though a side salad is very important as well. Nutritional balance, you know.

Most lasting effect of attending an all-girls high school: I like boys more than I should. Ann Taylor is the end-all, be-all of dressing for success.

The quirkiest thing about The Harvard Crimson: We like meetings.

Her thesis topic: That's not funny.

Current state of mind regarding the thesis: Profound sadness.

Favorite cereal: I'm not a cereal fan per se--I hate breakfast. But if I have to name a cereal, it would be Honey Nut Cheerios mixed with Crispix, with skim milk and banana slices on top.

Response to occasional accusations that Fifteen Minutes is basically Sassy: I'm flattered, but we're more mature, I hope.

Favorite bouquet for a dorm room: Freesia with irises. The freesia for their wonderful scent, irises for their striking color.

What she'll do with her time after she's done with the magazine: Thesis, thesis, thesis, thesis. And sleep.

Besides the thesis: I want to go to Foxwoods casino. Not to gamble, but just to sightsee. Also, wait for a lucrative and rewarding career to drop in my lap.

What she would not consider to be a lucrative, rewarding career: Investment banking. Actuary shit.

Favorite menu item at ll Panino: Lobster fra diavolo. The garlic is key.

Favorite menu item at the Kong: Subgum Mandarin Pan-fried Noodles. Hold the pork. Scallion pancakes, too.

Why she wants to travel cross-country by car: I want to visit Molly in Nebraska. And to discover regional interpretations of Subgum Mandarin Pan-fried Noodles.

Suckiest library at Harvard: The Quincy House Qube. It's cold, concretey, and there are no nifty studying nooks.

Idea she always wanted to bring to the pages of Fifteen Minutes: I wanted to try "Harvard 02138," a serial soap opera a la "Beverly Hills 90210," but I was way too lazy.

Most bewitching scent on her dresser: Romeo Gigli.

Whether or not she's already had her Fifteen Minutes of fame: Well, freshman year I was in a picture in the Metro section of The Boston Globe. My roommate and I happened to be standing behind Ralph Nader when he spoke at a rally in the Yard. But that's not enough. Hopefully my time will come.

When: When I write The Great American Novel.

And what will she call it: The Bridges of...Oh, I dunno.