16.2-Inch Snowfall Stalls City, Airport

By Stephanie P. Wexler, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--No Elvis look-alikes showed up at Logan Airport Saturday morning.

Despite airlines' discounted fares--and an offer of a free pass for the King himself--to Memphis to celebrate Elvis Presley's 59th birthday, Boston's third winter storm in eight days forced Logan Airport to close all of Saturday morning, cancelling numerous flights.

Cambridge life was also slowed by the two-day sonwstorm, as a snow emergency forced parked cars off streets and had snowplow operators logging overtime.

National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Seeley said 16.2 inches of snow fell at Logan Airport between Thursday evening and Saturday morning.

"The monthly accumulation for January so far is 25.1 [inches of snow]," Seeley said. "The normal snowfall for the month of January is 12 inches."

America West Airlines' ticket agent Kimberley L. Marler said poor weather let to the cancellation of 50 percent of the airline's Saturday flights in Boston, but most passengers found seats on later flights.

"We had flights cancelled [Saturday] and the day before that, but pretty much everyone who wanted to go out [Saturday] was able to," Marler said. "Today everything is running smoothly."

But flight schedules were not operating as smoothly yesterday for American Airlines.

American Airlines' lead Boston ticket counter agent said, "[Flight] are moving fine and there's not many delays." But video monitors yesterday afternoon still showed 10 of 15 arriving flights and 8 of 15 departing flights delayed more than 30 minutes or cancelled.

Richard E. Cross of Baltimore said yesterday afternoon that he has been stranded in Boston for two days.

"I was initially scheduled for early Saturday, and three flights that day were cancelled," he said. "Two flights today were also cancelled."

The poor weather has surprisingly improved operations for Yellow Cab in Cambridge, according to a supervisor for the taxi company.

"It hasn't been that bad at all," the supervisor said. "It was extremely busy, 80 percent more business than on a normalweekend."

And the local snow emergency kept Phil's Towingbusy, as about fifty Cantabrigain carsinvoluntarily received the company's services,according to Phil's Towing employee John Burke.

But Fatima Taheri, an interior designer wholives near Harvard Square, said streets near herhome were still not yet adequately plowedyesterday.

"The city of Cambridge really doesn't clear thesnow," she said. "There's a big mountain of snowby the sidewalk, so it's impossible to park."

Reggae singer Luko Adjaffi said snowyconditions forced him to move his performance fromoutside Out of Town News to inside the Harvard Tstation.

"There's too much snow up there, and the moneyis slowing down too," Adjaffi said. "I think thegloves make it hard for people to reach into theirpockets and give."

Harvard students did not despair at the twofeet of snow that has covered the ground. Manytook the opportunity to do a little sledding onthe steps of Widener Library.

Scott L. Scuchart '97 spent Saturday afternoonand evening sliding the steps and offered helpfuladvice.

"The Union trays are much more dynamic than therectangular ones," he said. "The narrow part isshaped perfectly for your tuchas [rear end] andwider part is a convenient place to put yourhands."

By Saturday evening, Shuchart said that thesnow on the steps had become so warn down byoverzealous sledders that the ride down had becomea little too bumpy.

For now, the Boston area will get a respitefrom the snow, according to the National WeatherService's Seeley.

Seeley said weather conditions will be clearuntil Tuesday night.

"Tomorrow looks nice--sunny, middle 20s,"Seeley said. "Tuesday there is a chance offlurries late.