Speaker O'Neill Dies at 81

Was Cambridge Rep. For Three Decades

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Cambridge and Harvard officials yesterday lamented the passing of Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr., a wellknown Cantabrigian Democrat whose political career began in North Cambridge and culminated with a decade as speaker of the House.

O'Neill died of cardiac arrest Wednesday night in Boston. He was 81.

His political journey began with his election to the Massachusetts Legislature in 1947. In 1952, he took the place of John F. Kennedy '40 in the United States House of Representatives after Kennedy was elected to the U.S. Senate.

Before he was elected speaker of the House in 1977, O'Neill was a vocal opponent of the Vietnam War in the '60s--then a risky political stance--and he helped lead the effort to impeach then-President Richard M. Nixon during the Watergate scandal of the '70s.

He retired in 1987 with a reputation as an insider, but his legacy to many was his admontion to always pay attention to constituents, because, as he put it, "All politics is local."

Many fellow Cantabrigians, however, shared memories of O'Neill that had little to do with his political career.

"He was just a good person who did the very best he could for his city, state and country," said Sheila T. Russell, vice mayor of Cambridge.

Russell said her memories of O'Neill date back to her childhood in North Cambridge. "He would always make it his business to say hello to people," she said.

Another Cambridge government official said he had similar memories of O'Neill.

"I knew him through my father since I was alittle kid," said William H. Walsh, Cambridge CityCouncillor. "He was like somebody you always knew.Tip O'Neill was a household name."

Walsh also said he remembered O'Neill'sspeaking ability.

"He spoke to his audience, never above hisaudience," Walsh said. "He always had a story foreveryone."

One story, Walsh said, stands out in his mind.In the early 1940s, James Michael Curley, "themost famous mayor Boston ever had," heard O'Neillspeak.

Afterward, the mayor went up to the youngpolitician, told him he was the worst speaker hehad ever heard, and asked him to come over to hishouse later, according to Walsh.

Once O'Neill arrived, Curley gave him anexplanation. First, O'Neill bored people; second,he talked down to them instead of to them; andthird, he didn't leave them with a message theyremembered.

Curley shared his own strategy--poetry--andfrom that day on, O'Neill ended every speech witha poem, Walsh said.

Faculty members at the Kennedy School ofGovernment praised O'Neill's commitment to bothnational and local politics.

"He had a passion for and about government,"said David C. King, assistant professor of publicpolicy at the Kennedy School of Government. "Hewas for Congress. He would never bash Congress."

Another faculty member commented on O'Neill'spolitical views.

"The thing about Tip was that he was fiercelypartisan--very, very much an ideologicalliberal--but he got along well with people alongboth sides of the aisle," said Mickey Edwards, alecturer in public policy at the Kennedy School ofGovernment.

In fact, said Edwards, a former Republicanmember of Congress, O'Neill was liked andrespected by many of his political foes. "I thinkRonald Reagan liked him a lot," Edwards said.

Edwards also spoke about how O'Neill actuallymade his politics local.

"For a lot of politicians today, local politicsmeans taking a poll of the people in yourconstituency," Edwards said. "To him it meantyou're there with the people. You're one of them.You're their voice up there."

Alfred E. Vellucci, a former mayor ofCambridge, told the Associated Press that O'Neillgenerated great loyalty among his constituents byhis dedication to the problems of the poor.

"I was the same kind of politician he was andhe was the same kind of politician I was,"Vellucci said. "We had love in our hearts and wepoured it out and gave it away to the lowest ofthe low, to the poorest of the poor."

Russell said that O'Neill's life will long beremembered in Cambridge.

"We are all going to mourn him, but we can alsocelebrate his life," said Russell. "I think he wasone of the finest people I have ever met.