Lynx, Bee, Theta Share Members

Theta Officers Deny Official Connections

By Margaret Isa

The presidents of the Bee and the Lynx clubs are among the founders of the local Kappa Alpha Theta chapter, pointing to an overlap in the membership of three exclusive all-female social organizations.

Nicole Jampol '94 is the president of the new all-female social group, the Lynx, a source said, Jampol is also a founder, past service chair and current member of Theta.

Jampol said last night that she would not comment on anything related to the Lynx.

Deborah E. Lipson '95 is the president of the Bee, Harvard's only known all-female final club. Lipson is one of the founders to Theta, although she is no longer involved with the organization, said Theta president Jennifer R. Brosnahan '95. Lipson could not be reached for comment.

At least three members of Theta besides Jampol are also members of the Lynx. Melissa B. Fisher '94, Jennifer W. Grove '94 and Margaret L. Roberts '96 belong to both organizations.

Sources said that Cary S. Gunther '97 and Janie A. Ho '96 are also members of both groups. Gunther said yesterday that she is the archivist/historian for Theta, and Ho said she is a member of Theta. Neither would comment on her involvement with the Lynx.

Brosnahan has categorically denied any connection or similarities between Theta and the Lynx, saying the Lynx "has nothing to do with Theta." The overlap in membership does not imply an institutional connection among the groups, she said.

"Some of the women in the Lynx are also government concentrators, but its not like you're going to call the government department," Brosnahan said.

Earlier this week Brosnahan said she feared Fisher's involvement with the Lynx might reflect negatively on Theta, which is now conducting its spring rushfor new members. "Theta is so different from thefinal clubs," Brosnahan said Wednesday.

Theta's vice president for public relations,Melissa A. Rohrbach '95, has also stressed thedifference between Theta and the other two groups.

She said Theta is "not primarily social," buthas philanthropic, academic and social goals.

Although Theta officers said they are beingmistakenly linked to the Lynx, they have not takena position on the membership of Jampol and otherTheta women in both clubs.

Members of the Theta chapter formed by Harvardwomen in January of last year call their group a"women's fraternity." The group, which has about35 members, conducts an open rush to select itsnew members and finances operations by chargingmembership dues of about $200 per semester, Jampolsaid.

The Bee was registered with the state as anon-profit corporation in January of 1992. Itconducts a closed punch for membership selection,sources said.

Lynx members will not say whether their groupis final club, though organizers recentlyconducted a closed punch to select members. Asource said the Lynx, which has about 20 members,has modeled itself on the Bee