Liems Rehired as Dunster Masters

Return Despite Tutor-Hiring Scandal

By Douglas M. Pravda

Although accused of mishandling the tutor hiring conflict last year, Karel F. and Hetty Liem have been reappointed co-masters of Dunster House.

But the Liems' term was extended for just two years instead of the normal five-year period, according to Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57.

Jewett, in consultation with President Neil L. Rudenstine, decided in March to renew the Liems' term as March to renew the Liems' term as co-masters, although no public announcement was made.

Jewett declined to explain why the extension was granted for just two years, but said "the decision was made that it would be preferable to extend the appointment for two years, and then do a regular review at that time."

"The situation in Dunster House appears to be substantially improved from last year and there is every reason to hope that there can be a positive relationship between the Master and the rest of the House in the coming years," he said.

One former tutor speculated that the University could have extended the Liems' term for two years while it looked for replacements for the house masters.

The tutor also said keeping the Liems in the house would "give the House more continuity" while Expository Writing teacher Suzi Naiburg takes over as senior tutor next year.

Students and tutors said they has mixed feelings about the Liems' term renewal.

Some of the tutors said they were surprised the co-masters' terms were renewed after Karel Liem allegedly covered up the tutor-hiring controversy. Last fall, Eight Dunster tutors accused Vincent W. Li '87, assistant senior tutor in charge of hiring, of improperly influencing Liem to hire Li's relatives and friends as tutors.

"I don't think [the Liems] have been doing a good job," one former tutor said."I think the bulk [of the problem] is tutor hiringbecause it shows poor management style and lessthan complete regard for equity and openness ofdiscussion."

"I find it difficult to believe that Harvardwas pleased with all the controversy it provoked,"another former tutor said. "Liem trampled on allthe principles of free speech and made many tutorsand students fearful of speaking out."

Ted G. Rose '94, who revived the defunctDunster Students for Free Expression, told TheCrimson in October that about 10 people said theywere afraid to speak out on the tutor conflict.

Rose, who is a Crimson editor, said yesterdaythat "it will probably be good for Dunster Houseto have them still as House Masters."

Henriette L. Power, the senior tutor of DunsterHouse, announced earlier that she would not returnto her post because of family reasons. She alsosaid the tutor hiring controversy contributed toher decision to leave.

Eight other tutors will not be returning nextyear, although several have already been replaced.

Many students contacted said they first learnedof the renewal when they were interviewed.

"I've been impressed particularly with howinvolved students have been in the process ofhiring tutors for next year," said Justin Goodyear'95.

"I think it is a wise decision since [Liem] hasdemonstrated a great willingness to change thingsand work hard to be a good house master," saidDavid C. Bear '92, non-resident tutor in physics."I truly think he has a good heart and goodintentions and it will make him a better housemaster in the future," Bear said.

"I an very much looking forward to continuingour work at Dunster House," Liem said. "We arestriving to build a harmonius community whichexcels academically, culturally, and socially