Dean Will Miss Service Rallies

Students Plan Protest for This Morning

By Marios V. Broustas and Sarah J. Schaffer

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 said yesterday be will not attend Thursday's rally by the Phillips Brooks House Association, Inc. (PBHA) or today's unauthorized sit-in at University Hall because of prior commitments.

Lewis, who will be attending an Ivy League policy committee meeting today in New York, said he will not be in University Hall when students gather at 9 a.m. in front of the John Harvard statue, outside his office window.

"They didn't check my calendar," he said.

Lewis said he will also miss PBHA's highly-publicized rally in the Yard, scheduled for 1 p.m. on Thursday, because he will be attending a meeting in Boston that was scheduled several months earlier.

Today's sit-in, which is not sanctioned by PBHA, will be held to protest Lewis' choice last month of Judith H. Kidd as assistant dean of public service. The protesters, who will gag themselves and tie their hands, said that Lewis choice of Kidd ignored student input.

"It's a group of concerned students," said Scott McCue '96, who is organizing the demonstration. "They're not characterized as [to] what organization they belong to, because there are people who are members of all different organizations, and there are people who are members of no organizations at all. They are people who feel they have been ignored [by the administration]."

"I hope they've made arrangements with the Dean of Students office," Lewis said in reference to the sit-in, which he had not heard about.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said late yesterday afternoon that today's protesters had not cleared the demonstration through his office.

"Student have to get permission for any protest that involves the use of this building," Epps said. "We have not been contacted by the organizers.... They must make sure that people are able to enter and to exit this building."

McCue had no comment.

Lewis said he hopes Thursday's rally stays under control.

"My only concern is that it be orderly and that they help with crowd control and clean up afterwards," Lewis said.

"As far as I know, no one at University Hall has been contacted about being present for the rally," said Lewis, who will issue a statement tomorrow on The Crimson's editorial page.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said yesterday he will be in his office during Thursday's rally.

"I'll be there," Epps said.

Lewis at the Council Meeting

For the first time during his tenure, Lewis attended an Undergraduate Council meeting last night.

Lewis said he hopes to attend council meetings once each month.

"[Council President Robert M. Hyman '98-'97] asked me if I could come once a month," Lewis said. "My plan is to go."

During Sunday night's meeting. Lewis said he was asked questions about student membership on the Committees on House life, College late and Undergraduate Education.

Lewis said he also took questions on having exams before winter break and the legality of holding classes during reading period. He was also asked a "general" question about public service.

"[There was] a little but of antagonism," Lewis said. adding that very few students seemed belligerent. "It was an informal discussion.

"I'll be there," Epps said.

Lewis at the Council Meeting