Springfest Rocks MAC Quad

U.C. Festival Features Local Bands, Rides, Prizes and Beer

By Hallie Z. Levine

Boasting live music, rides, prizes and beer, the Undergraduate Council held their second annual Springfest last Saturday in the quadrangle of the Malkin Athletic Center from noon to 7 p.m.

Springfest, attracted more than 2,000 students and featured 12 carnival events, including a moon-bounce, a high-striker and a game tent. Ten bands also played throughout the afternoon, including the local bands G-Love and Special Sauce, Spatula, Swedish Cookie, Fuzzy Navel and Daily Planet.

"I felt that everything was out-standing," said Campus Life Committee Co-chair Jonathan P. Feeney '97, who sponsored the event. "The Council has been working a long time on that event. I think that about 5,000 times the effort went into this year's event than last year's."

Students interviewed expressed satisfaction with the day's activities, as well as with the warm, sunny weather.

"Gorgeous day, funky sounds," said Jonas A. Marusann '95 as he strolled around the MAC Quad.

"It's cool to see so many people out," said Megan L. Peimer '97. "I'm glad that the council pulled all this together."

Students also had the opportunity to dunk Council President Joshua D. Liston '95 and Campus Life Co-Chairs Feeney and Rudd W. Coffey '97 in the dunk-tank set up across the street from Kirkland House.

"I would really have liked to have been the one who dunked the U.C. President in the water," confessed Bridget K. Wagner '95, who narrowly missed her targets.

Admission was free for Harvard undergraduates, who had to show Harvard identification before being allowed into the MAC quad. While last year'sSpringfest took place in the Yard, council memberscited closer proximity to the Houses and alcoholregulations as reasons for moving this year'sevents closer to the river.

Regardless of the location, council memberscredited more in-depth planning and organizationas crucial factors in Saturday's success.

"We were better organized this year, and allthe council members worked their butts off,"explained Coffey. "I appreciate the fact that allthe council members worked so hard."

Coffey expressed some surprise at the amount ofalcohol left over after the festival. The councilhad negotiated the serving of beer at the eventwith both the Harvard administration and the cityof Cambridge.

"I was expecting a lot more people to bepsyched for free beer," Coffey said.

Still, both council members and undergraduatesinterviewed expressed a great deal of satisfactionwith the afternoon's activities.

"It's been my whole semester, planning thatday," said Feeney. "It was really great seeingthings come together."

"[Organizing Springfest] has been the highlightof my time on the council," he added