Trade Professor Martin Gets Tenure in Government Dep't

By Douglas M. Pravda

In the latest of a series of tenures from within the University, Loeb Associate Professor of the Social Sciences Lisa L. Martin was promoted to a full professorship this week.

"It's extremely exciting and I'm looking forward to joining the department permanently," said Martin, who found out about the tenure decision on Monday night. "I feel it's a real honor."

Martin, a government professor, is a specialist in international relations and teaches courses on international trade, research design and international institutions.

She is the author of Coercive Cooperation: Explaining Multilateral Economic Sanctions, and has written more than 10 articles in the last four years on international political economy and institutions.

Other professors in the department said Martin will continue to make a valuable contribution to the department.

"With the loss of Bob Keohane, we desperately need people in this field and Lisa is right at the top of this field," said Professor of Government Gary King, who co-teaches a course with Martin.

Keohane, Stanfield professor of international peace, announced in February that he would leave at the end of this semester to assume a professorship at Duke University, where his wife, Nannerl O. Keohane, is president.

At least four other associate professors have been promoted to full professorships this year, reversing a trend at the College of mainly outside professors receiving tenure.

The Government Department also tenured Stephen Peter Rosen '74 earlier this year.

Martin said that associate professors in government were hopeful about the increase in internal promotions.

"There is something of a trend towards more successful resolution of tenure cases and we all hope that will continue," she said.

Martin has taught at Harvard since 1992. She also earned her Ph.D. , from page 1in government here in 1989 and was a predoctoral fellow from 1987 to 1989.

She received her undergraduate degree from the California Institute of Technology in 1983.

Martin also taught at the University of California at San Diego from 1989 to 1992