'80s Television: It's All In the Family

By Andrew K. Mandel

Now TV don't move

To the beat of just one drum

And what might be right for one show,

Might be right for some.

An idea is born

It's all touch-and-feel

So some rivals think

It's legitimate to steal.

Television programs of the 80s touched the heart. From Vicki, everyone's favorite daughter-robot from "Small Wonder," to the dim but lovable Rose Nylon from "Golden Girls," to the naive yet shrewd Balki Bartokomous from "Perfect Strangers," the characters of touchy-feely 80s sitcoms were remarkably diverse. But were their shows as versatile? Pairings of several of the decade's television masterpieces may force American cultural scholars and historians to dub the period the "Imitation 80s."

"Charles In Charge" and "Who's The Boss?": A Brooklynite (Charles, Tony) is responsible for a middle-class suburban household. The youngest male child (Adam, Danny) is precocious, while the older daughter (Jamie, Sam) is popular and pretty. And let's not forget the eccentric senior citizen (Mr. Powell, Mona).

What makes each show unique?

"Who's The Boss?:" Ambiguous relationship between Tony and Angela.

"Charles in Charge:" Buddy Lembeck

"Diff'rent Strokes" and "Webster:" Who do they think they're kidding? Wealthy, white paternalism (complete with cool pad) meets needy black child(ren).

So what's the diff'rence?

"Diff'rent Strokes:" "What `chu talkin' `bout Willis?"

"Webster:" The dumbwaiter.

"Facts of Life" and "Golden Girls:" Four ladies share problems and living quarters in a complex love-hate relationship, all the while giggling and coping with the facts of life.

Besides a generation gap of about 50 years, what makes each show special?

"Facts of Life:" "Edna's Edibles"

"Golden Girls:" St. Olaf and "Picture it--Sicily, 1932."

Third time's a charm: "227" (consider this: have you ever seen the headstrong, vain Blair Warren, Blanche Deveroe and Sandra Clark [a.k.a. Jackee] at the same place at the same time? How about the wise-cracking grannies Edna Garrett, Sophia Petrillo and Pearl Shay? Coincidence? I think not.)

"Mr. Belvedere" and "Mama's Family:" Hard-headed title character (Belvedere, Mama) maintains the sanity of a household through wit and sarcasm, dealing with stupid patriarchs (George Owen, Venton Harper) and mischevious family members (Wesley, Naomi).

Unique?

"Mr. Belvedere:" End-of-show diary passages

"Mama's Family:" Iola and her gingham dresses.

"Family Ties" and "Growing Pains:" Living the lives of two working parents, a smug older brother (Alex Keaton, Mike Seaver), the self-conscious middle sister (Mallory, Carol) the forgotten third child (Jennifer, Ben), one annoying friend (Skippy, Boner) and a random fourth child who emerges as the series starts to wane (Andrew, Chrissy).

How'd we tolerate both?

"Family Ties:" Alex and his parents don't share views on politics.

"Growing Pains:" Mike and his parents don't share views on skipping class.