Panel on Segregation Attracts Diverse Audience

By Rodrigo Cruz, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Segregation in student groups was the issue up for debate at a panel discussion in Emerson Hall last night.

Before an audience of 28 people, participants representing 10 of the College's student organization attempted to identify the sources of segregation they and others perceived within their respective organization and proposed solutions to remedy it.

Though the segregation identified by panelists occurred along predominantly "racial-ethnic" lines, socio-economic and ideological division also received attention.

Present were leaders from Native Americans at Harvard, the Undergraduate Council, the Chinese Students Association, the Asian-American Christian Fellowship, Black Students Association (BSA), RAZA, the Salient, Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA), the Institute of Politics (IOP) and The Crimson.

The discussion was moderated by S. Alan Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation.

From the outside, participate acknowledged the shortcomings of their own organizations in the field of multi-cultural inclusion.

"A t Harvard we pride ourselves on the diversity of our student body," said Samuel C. Cohen '00, vice president of the Undergraduate Council. "But I don't think it's any great secret that many of the groups we're involved in don't reflect that diversity."

Cohen went on to cite the council as particularly deficient in this area.

Other panelists challenged the contention that all student groups should strive to achieve a culture composition among their members which reflects the College's diversity.

"Groups like the BSA and the Chinese Students Association-I don't think we can reasonably expect them to become more diverse in their membership," said Kevin A. Shapiro '99, editor of the Salient.

Jennifer 8. Lee, vice president of The Crimson, emphasized it was question of "which community do you serve." Lee acknowledged that while specific cultural groups achieve only limited ethnic diversity, the issue becomes more relevant for organization like. The Crimson, which purport to serve the entire Harvard community.

Conceding the practical limitation Jason B. Phillips '99, vice president-elect of the BSA, pointed out that "not all students can be board members" of his organization and encouraged his fellow members to "board out" and join other organizations.

At least one audience member. however, rejected this approach.

"I disagree that the ethnic organizations should be pushing their members to go to the organizations like the Undergraduate Council and The Crimson and PBHA and the IOP," Kamil E. Redmond '00 said. "I think those groups should be reaching out to ethnic students."

Redmond also questioned what the organizations represented on the panel were doing to promote diversity.

Elisabeth A. Tomlinson '99, president of PBHA pointed out her organization's track-record in advancing the cause of diversity through programs such as Stride-Rite and its Summer Urban Program--both programs which attempt to match the diversity PBHA encounters in the outside world with their own diversity.

Several panelists also identified what they said was the crucial significance of people who serve as bridges between the more race-specific organizations and their broader counterparts.

"People who have one foot in one extracurricular and are also committed to another just provide that bridge of communication," Lee said.

The evening's event was sponsored by the Asian American Association