Irish Pres. Visits IOP

Robinson Urges Global Cooperation

By Christine M. Griffin

President Mary Robinson of Ireland yesterday called for an increased international sense of connectedness, caring and participation in a speech at the Kennedy School of Government's Institute of Politics.

Approximately 250 people turned out for the speech by a green-clad Robinson, which was co-sponsored by the Irish Times and Harvard. The speech was also broadcast live on Irish television.

Robinson said people must learn to respond to the images of crisis they receive through the media, rather than simply ignoring problems in other parts of the world.

"I want to convey a sense of crisis," she said.

The nations of the world must work together to overcome such post-Cold War problems as pollution and scarce natural resources, Robinson said. Developed nations must particularly look to the difficulties of less-developed countries, she said.

"We need to listen to warnings," Robinson said.

The nations of the world need to "refresh" the rhetoric of the U.N. charter's preamble and use the global body to facilitate international cooperation, she said.

"We, the peoples of the U.N.," must "take responsibility for our world," she said.

In order to meet this goal, the U.N. must evolve into a body which reflects the voices of all the peoples of theworld, she said.

"We must ensure that the developing world doesnot watch at the window, envious of what they cansee, but unable to participate," Robinson said.

The developed nations must also work to ensurethat the evolving information super-highwayincludes the rest of the countries of the world,she said, because "information, more than ever,will be power" in the future.

Robinson also called on industrializedcountries to head the world environmental crisisand end their "heedless output of waste andprofligate use of resources."

"What world will our children look back on?"Robinson asked. World problems of poverty,over-population and the spread of nuclear weaponsmust be faced immediately, she said.

In an address following President Robinson'sspeech, Australian Ambassador to the U.N. RichardButler praised President Robinson as a "specialvoice from a deep and distinctive culture.