First-Year Accosted in Dining Hall

By Garrett M. Graff and Catherine E. Shoichet, Crimson Staff Writerss

A first-year student reported to police that a man grabbed her breasts while she was standing in the serving area of Annenberg Hall around 9:30 a.m. yesterday.

The man, who the student did not know, fled immediately after the attack.

The police are labeling the incident as an indecent assault.

A community advisory sent to first-year students last night said security officers will closely patrol their dining hall, and both uniformed and non-uniformed officers will mingle with students during meal hours.

The student told police her attacker was a six-foot tall dark-skinned white male, who was 18 or 19 years of age and who weighed 180 to 190 lbs. She said the man had brown eyes and thick dark hair. He was unshaven with a lot of stubble.

Police say they have no reason to suspect the assailant was a student.

Students in Annenberg Hall last night said they were concerned that the assault had taken place in an area they generally considered safe.

"You're on your guard when you're outside, but not when you're in buildings," said Anna E. Byrn '04.

"It's sexual assault, and it also violates societal decorum," said Andrew J. Klein '04. "It's scary that something like that can happen here."

Other students said the incident was being taken too seriously.

"It was probably just a silly prank. I'm not particularly concerned about it," said Valerie Y. Novales '04.

In the advisory, which was forwarded to first-years via e-mail, Dean of the Freshman Elizabeth Studley Nathans said the FDO " is deeply concerned" about the safety of students.

"We encourage members of [the class of '04] to remember that security precautions are sometimes inconvenient but are designed to protect all members of the community, and we especially hope that freshmen will avoid such practices as permitting 'piggyback' entry to any facility protected by swipe-card

access," she wrote.

The incident prompted the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) to release another community advisory--the sixth thus far this school year.

The indecent assault is the second of its type in ten days.

On Sept. 16, a University staff member's breasts were grabbed on the "safety path" near Leverett Towers.

Police say they believe that the incidents are unrelated but have not completed their investigation.

They urge students to be alert at all times.

"Students need to be aware of their surroundings," said HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

The police's response to both assaults was delayed because the victims failed to immediately report the crime. Yesterday's incident was reported around 1:30 p.m.--four hours after it happened--while the earlier assault wasn't reported for three days.

McNamara stressed the importance of notifying police quickly when crimes are committed and the criminal might still be in the area.

Nathans wrote in the e-mail message to students that the FDO met yesterday with officials from Harvard Dining Services and the Memorial Hall complex. The e-mail message did not elaborate.