Letters

Oblivion, Harvard-Style

Letter to the Editors

By Brian C. Grech

To the editors:

In “Partisanship, Harvard-Style” (Column, Oct. 18), Anthony S. A. Freinberg ’04 criticizes the College Democrats and the Republican Club (HRC) as “intellectually lazy” for their lack of “discussions of the vital issues.” This charge is baffling given both clubs’ recent history of lively debates with each other on school choice, the living wage, the Bush tax cut and drilling in Alaska. It is baffling given the HRC’s constant writing and internal debate on our Policy Committee. It is baffling given both clubs’ involvement in crafting thoughtful and hard-hitting events at the Institute of Politics. It is baffling given the incredible range of politically diverse voices brought to campus by both clubs specifically to inform and persuade students on “the big issues.” It is also fascinating that Freinberg suddenly cares so much about our discourse. I’ve never seen him at our events. Freinberg forgets that in October of an election year, some of us actually feel compelled to do something about making our academic ideas reality. Ivory tower yapping is fun, but if you want anything actually changed, you’d better hit the campaign trail. Bravo to the selfless members of both clubs who left cozy dorm rooms to spend this weekend tromping door-to-door in New Hampshire, where the balance of power in the Senate may be decided.

Apologies if, for the month, leaflets supercede lyceum. Just don’t call us lazy.

Brian C. Grech ’03

Oct. 20, 2002

The writer is president of the Harvard Republican Club.

Letters