Before Congress, Reps Prep At IOP

New House Representatives ask veteran lawmakers for starting advice

By Monica M. Clark, Crimson Staff Writer

Freshman representatives of the United States Congress received advice from longtime legislators about how to navigate a bitterly divided Capitol Hill yesterday morning during the Kennedy School of Government’s biennial conference for newly elected members of Congress.

The words of wisdom from the experienced legislative officials were in some ways reminiscent of those given to first-year college students.

Susan Hirschmann, who is the former chief of staff to Majority Whip Tom Delay, R-Texas, emphasized the importance of first impressions.

“It’s like your college freshman year when it’s defined who you are, what’s your style and how you interact with other people,” she said.

Several speakers emphasized the importance of bridging the partisan divide.

“We’re more partisan than we’ve ever seen it,” Hirschmann said. “Make it more bipartisan, go to bipartisan events.”

Lorraine Miller, director of intergovernmental relations for Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California, also emphasized the importance of relationships that cross party lines. “You will need support from both parties to pass legislation,” she said.

Miller also told the audience of more than 20 members of congress that they are entering the “super-pit of solicitation” and that they must get their priorities straight.

Chris Cox, a special assistant to President Bush, had an additional warning for the representatives—that they are in their most vulnerable stage politically. “You’ll never be more in danger of losing your seat than right now,” Cox said. “Small mistakes for seniors are big mistakes for freshmen.”

Yesterday’s session was one of a number of activities scheduled for the 23 of 30 incoming Congressional freshmen who attended the bipartisan conference, which began Monday night and ran through yesterday afternoon.

According to the Director of the Institute of Politics and former Congressman Philip R. Sharp, this year’s turnout was one of the strongest since the conference debuted in 1972. In the past as few as a third of the newly elected members attended.

Sharp also said that in 1994 the event “practically fell apart” since the Republicans refused to attend.

“People misperceive universities. It is not a partisan place, it’s an academic community,” Sharp said. “Our goal has nothing to do with partisanship, we’re trying to help officials get off to a good start.”

In addition to sessions about relationship development, foreign affairs and the media, the new members of congress attended a dinner with students and faculty members at the JFK library in Boston, and joined a group of students to discuss youth political engagement.

Allyson Y. Schwartz, D-PA, said she enjoyed the atmosphere of the conference and that it was an opportunity to network with other members of Congress.

“We’re told about issues we’ll be faced with, [we] meet experts and have the opportunity to meet the freshman class,” Schwartz said. “There is little argument that [Washington] is very partisan, more so than other years but [the conference] is very open.”

Media coverage was limited to just one session to allow the attendees to speak freely.

“This event is not about the press. It’s an opportunity for them to speak candidly to each other and to ask questions and not have to worry about the spotlight,” Sharp said.

—Staff writer Monica M. Clark can be reached at mclark@fas.harvard.edu.