Concert Confronts Stereotypes

By Sadia Ahsanuddin, Contributing Writer

The Asian American Arts Concert, an event featuring a medley of professional and student performances, took over the stage of Lowell Lecture Hall on Saturday night.

The show, sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Association (AAA), helped to raise money for Boston’s Chinatown community while showcasing Asian American talent. This was the group’s first arts show in Lowell Lecture Hall, and organizers plan to make it an annual event.

“People don’t really associate Asian Americans with contemporary music,” said AAA’s co-cultural chair, May Luo ’08. “We want to exhibit Asian Americans who aren’t stereotypical classical musicians who just play violin or piano.”

The night featured an array of non-traditional acts, including spoken word artists who have performed throughout the country. The performers related episodes from their experiences growing up as Asian American youth.

Many of the challenges they spoke of were unique to Asian Americans, such as parental pressure and the attempt to maintain their original identity while being an American, but they also spoke of issues that youth everywhere confront, including love, identity, and change.

“I thought it was amazing. They’re trying to change stereotypes of Asian Americans,” said Chen Li ’09, who attended the event. “I am quite surprised by the talent, the creativity.”

The show also featured musical performances from an array of local bands and a jazz quintet comprised of students from Harvard and the Berklee College of Music. All the musical groups performed original, contemporary pieces and included at least one Asian member.

Other performances included a hip-hop dance troupe from Wellesley and Harvard’s own Asian American Dance Troupe.

Bo Meng ’06 emceed the event, stringing together the night’s acts with humorous introductions.

“I thought it was a huge success,” said AAA Co-President Eveleen S. Hsu ’07, who has been planning an event like Saturday’s since she and Co-President Sarah L. Paiji ’06 saw a similar concert two years ago.

“Often times, Asian Americans in the arts is not shown in the media to the general public. I’m very happy with the outcome,” Hsu said.

Hsu said the event raised more than $1,000, which will go to help local volunteer programs.

“Half of our proceeds will benefit Chinatown, which is the second-poorest neighborhood in Boston,” said Jimmy Zhao ’08, one of the cultural co-chairs of the AAA. “The money will be going to the Chinatown After-School program, run by the Phillips Brooks House Association.”