Snoop Dogg Deal Falls Through

Cost and complications prompt cancellation of spring concert

By Nicole B. Urken, Crimson Staff Writer

Snoop Dogg will be taking his “Gin and Juice” somewhere else.

The rapper had been in negotiations with the Harvard Concert Commission (HCC) to perform on campus May 1, but the concert has been cancelled due in part to financial considerations, Undergraduate Council (UC) President Matthew J. Glazer ’06 announced yesterday.

“Due to many unavoidable obstacles, including financial considerations, the UC and the HCC have decided not to move forward with plans to bring Snoop Dogg to Harvard,” Glazer said.

He said that unanticipated security costs and delays made it impossible for the plans to be finalized in time.

According to Glazer, Capt. William Evans of the Boston Police Department (BPD) met Wednesday with Glazer, Assistant Dean of the College Paul J. McLoughlin II, incoming Campus Life Fellow Justin H. Haan ’05, and a Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) representative to discuss security for the event.

Evans said he wanted to have BPD officers at the concert, Glazer said.

Evans, McLoughlin, and Associate Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Since the Crimson announced on Wednesday that Snoop Dogg has been in negotiations with the HCC, Glazer said some on campus have raised concerns about the rapper’s character.

“The UC and the HCC regret that people were offended by the notion of Snoop Dogg coming to Harvard, and it was certainly not our goal to insult any portion of the student body,” Glazer said.

There is no concert planned to replace Snoop Dogg, and Glazer said the UC would turn its attention toward organizing an outdoor party for students after Springfest on May 30, as well as beginning to plan a fall concert.

“The difficulties we encountered in planning this concert point to the need to refine the time frame in which the UC and HCC plan events, and the process by which the different organs of the University communicate with each other in planning these events,” said HCC Director Jack P. McCambridge ’06.

—Staff writer Nicole B. Urken can be reached at urken@fas.harvard.edu.