China Care Raises Funds for Orphanage

By P. KIRKPATRICK Reardon, Contributing Writer

It may take a village to raise a child, but Harvard China Care (HCC) courted a community of corporate sponsors last night to help raise 34.

The occasion was a black-tie dinner at the Faculty Club to contribute toward $100,000 for a new building at a privately run orphanage in Saiqi, in Fujian Province in China.

“This is the first dinner of this type for us,” said Jennifer J. Esch ’09, publicity manager for HCC. “We are trying to reach out to a larger community now.” Last night’s goal was to raise $30,000, at $175 a plate.

Founded in 2003, HCC has in recent years expanded its operations from a mentoring program for young orphans in the Boston area to funding the Fujian construction. China Care has a network of undergraduate clubs on campuses across the nation, from USC to Emory, and has worked with a number of orphanages throughout China.

The Harvard chapter began working with the Saiqi orphanage when its previous benefactor, the Hope Foster Home in Beijing, could no longer provide funds.

“The present building is two stories and very run down,” said Adam Sang ’08, HCC’s internships coordinator. “It was meant to be temporary, but they never got enough funds to start construction.” The dilapidated Saiqi orphanage is still home to 34 mostly disabled orphans.

The benefit included a speech by Anthony Saich, Daewoo Professor of International Affairs, on the social challenges faced by China and musical performances by a string quartet organized for the occasion by Lushen L. Wu ’09.

Gene Corbin, executive director of the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA), said that although HCC is not a member, its fund-raising strategy is similar to that of other undergraduate public service organizations.

The Undergraduate Council and the President’s Public Service Fund provide minimal support for operations.

“People with more ambitious goals have fund-raisers,” Corbin said.