BRIEF: New Cambridge-NYC Bus Line Opens

By Afoma C. Umeano, Crimson Staff Writer

Updated Oct. 20, 2010

Brooklyn-based bus service World Wide Tours will launch on Oct. 27 a new bus line called World Wide Bus, which will travel between Cambridge and New York City.

Regular one-way fares will cost $15 on weekdays and $20 on weekends. World Wide Bus is offering an introductory price of $10 for one-way trips any day of the week in a sale that ends Nov. 18.

Passengers will be picked up at the Alewife MBTA Station in Cambridge and then at Riverside Station in Newton. They will be dropped off in Manhattan at 31st St. and 8th Ave., near Penn Station.

The new line, which features free wireless internet access, will leave four times a day during the week and eight times a day on weekends.

When asked about the new competition, Timothy Stokes, company spokesperson for BoltBus, said that he cannot speculate on World Wide Bus' effect on BoltBus' short- and long-term sales, adding that he welcomes competition.

"We...see it is as proof that intercity transportation is growing," Stokes said. "Competition brings an advantage to the industry as well as the public, by continuing to provide affordable transportation services with popular amenities customers seem to enjoy."

Lucky Star Bus and representatives from several other bus services declined to comment.

Harvard students are cautiously enthusiastic about the creation of a new direct route.

“That’s awesome, as long as it’s not ridiculously crowded,” said Thomas C. Foley, Jr. ’13, who said he rides Amtrak trains to the Big Apple.

Benjamin K. Moss ’13 said that he would only ride the World Wide Bus if it proves better than the BoltBus. “I’d only use it if it had the same amenities, like WiFi,” he said.

Shuttles