Student Groups Commemorate Veterans Day with Nursing Home Outing

By John P. Aloian, Contributing Writer

In recognition of Veterans Day, a coalition of student groups sponsored a community service outing to a local nursing home, where undergraduates, veterans, and non-veterans spent yesterday afternoon.

The Harvard co-sponsors of the event—Hillel, the Catholic Student Association, and the Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship—have a history of working together on community service projects and chose to spend this year’s Veterans Day at the Cambridge Nursing and Rehab Center, formerly known as Vernon Hall Nursing Home.

“We really wanted to do something that focused on our senior citizens, those from the generations that fought our wars,” said Matthew P. Cavedon ’11, one of CSA’s vice presidents. “I hope that we gave them something by showing them what we’ve been able to do with the peace, security, and freedom that they’ve provided.”

Once Cavedon, other Harvard visitors, and a few residents had gathered in a dining room, students and senior citizens played games, ate snacks, and mingled with one another.

During the afternoon celebration, the groups took a moment to recognize the veterans among them and the their service to the country. One World War II veteran recounted his experiences, both good and bad, of traveling across Africa and Italy, meeting the pope, and losing fellow soldiers.

ReligionHillelReligious Groups