Top Five Fictional Rabbits

By Rachel A. Burns, Crimson Staff Writer

5. Thumper from “Bambi”

Despite its tearful beginning, “Bambi” was one of my favorite childhood movies. In my opinion, Thumper upstages Bambi in pretty much any scene they share.

4. The rabbit in “Goodnight Moon”

This book should not need explanation. It has been a bedtime story for countless children, and at its center is a baby rabbit trying to go to sleep.

3. The killer rabbit from “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”

Not all rabbits are as sweet and innocent as the one falling asleep in “Goodnight Moon.” This particular rabbit eats unsuspecting travelers alive.

2. Harvey from “Harvey”

If you can’t see a rabbit, does it exist? Directed by Henry Koster and starring Jimmy Stewart, “Harvey” is the story of a man named Elwood P. Dowd, who claims to have a six-foot-tall, invisible rabbit friend.

1. Fiver from “Watership Down”

There are enough rabbits in Richard Adams’ classic tale to warrant a separate list. There’s the leader of the group of runaway rabbits, Hazel, the rabbit-god Frith, and the Grim Reaper rabbit, the Black Rabbit of Inlé, to name only a few. But Fiver, the neurotic and somewhat psychic runt of the group, has always been my favorite.

—Rachel A. Burns is the outgoing Books Editor. Because her initials are RAB, she has always felt an affinity for rabbits. Also, she stole the horcrux.

BooksFilmAnimals on Campus