Neon Indian Brings the Break-Up Album to Chillwave

Neon Indian -- 'Era Extraña' -- Mom & Pop Music -- 4 STARS

By Vivian W. Leung, Crimson Staff Writer

Heartbreak ballads and lovesick songs are normally alternative-rock, but not so much the psychedelic music scene. Yet Neon Indian, the stage name for Alan Palomo, manages to recount a classic break-up story in his ultra hip “Era Extraña,” roughly translated as “it was weird.” The album is split into three main phases, each marked by an introductory instrumental track. “Heart: Attack,” in the first stage, expresses his denial and frustration; “Heart: Decay” signals a period of depression; and the third phase, one of acceptance, culminates in “Heart: Release.”

The album’s plot is its least strange aspect, as Palomo reaches past the boundaries of the psychedelic genre to blend his chillwave sensibilities with pop and punk. By executing his vision, he creates a complex and cohesive soundscape over which he narrates his story. Though at times repetitive, the album is a compelling innovation in a somewhat staid genre.

Palomo blends elements of pop and punk into each track, fostering different environments in which to tell his story. On “Polish Girl,” perhaps the catchiest track of the album, Palomo balances accessibility and psychedelic artistry while reminiscing about the emotional baggage of an unresolved break-up. Electronic glissandos add complexity to the recurring four-beat Nintendo-like melody, the whisper of a guitar run through a wah-wah pedal, and the steady drum line. The result is a rich, upbeat ambiance. The steady repetition of distorted power chords and addition of whispered chanting on “The Blindside Kiss” offers a heavier, punk rock–influenced tone. Although the combination is initially surprising, he balances the punk and melodic electronica genres well between verses and choruses. However, at times, and especially on “Hex Girlfriend,” Palomo fails to emphasize appropriate parts of the instrumentation, and his aural landscapes become overly cluttered.

The instrumentation isn’t the only fluid aspect of the album: Palomo employs different vocal styles to convey more effectively the emotions his narrative invokes. In the earlier tracks, Palomo’s voice has a bittersweet and somewhat urgent air. In the more classic 80s psychedelic “Fall Out,” he manages to retain his chillwave style while successfully presenting the listless emotions associated with the period after a break-up. Supported by a slower tempo and lower tones in the melody, Palomo uses a solemn bass voice instead of his usual whisper falsetto as he sings, it’s about “fall[ing] out of love with you.” Then, transitioning to the third phase of the album, Palomo begins to surface with a more settled and tranquil tone as heard on “Halogen (I Could Be A Shadow)” and “Suns Irrupt.”

Though one of the album’s strengths is its overarching narrative, the conclusion leaves much to be desired. “Heart: Release” as the final track of the album is calming after the chaos of “Suns Irrupt,” but fails to properly conclude the story. The bass guitar leads the song, and builds up expectation only to let the song fade abruptly, unresolved. Perhaps Palomo intended the album to be a cliffhanger as the protagonist moves onto the next chapter of his life, but in light of the otherwise complete story, the finish is disorienting and disappointing.

In spite of these slight flaws, Palomo artfully crafts the complete saga of his break-up through an innovative combination of genres that makes his music accessible to fans of general electronica and even more straightforward pop. In “Era Extraña,” Palomo has demonstrated the beginnings of his creative potential and perhaps even begun the integration of other genres into the chillwave scene.

—Staff writer Vivian W. Leung can be reached at vivianleung@college.harvard.edu.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction.

CORRECTION: SEPT. 14, 2011

The Sept. 13 article "Neon Indian Brings the Break-Up Album to Chillwave" mistranslated the album's title as "strange era." A more accurate translation is "it was weird."

Music