Undergraduate Assaulted Early Monday Morning North of Campus

By Caroline C. Hunsicker, Crimson Staff Writer

A female undergraduate was assaulted by an unidentified man early Monday morning as she walked on Beacon St. in Somerville, several blocks north of campus. Steven G. Catalano, spokesperson for the Harvard University Police Department, sent a Community Advisory email alerting the student body of the incident on Tuesday evening.

Around 1:20 a.m. Monday, the undergraduate alerted the Somerville Police Department that the man had grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a nearby alley, according to Catalano’s email. The undergraduate said she yelled for help and fought off the male attacker.

According to the Community Advisory, no suspect is in custody and the victim was unable to identify the attacker’s features or the direction in which he ran.

The incident is currently under investigation by the Somerville Police Department, which could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.

Catalano, who declined to give more information on the incident Tuesday night, wrote in his email that the community should be aware of the risks that come with living in an urban area.

“Community members should be vigilant while walking throughout campus and surrounding areas both during the day and at night and to take appropriate precautions,” Catalano wrote. “If you are out after dark, try to travel in groups, use only well-lit routes or designated pathways, and do not allow yourself to be distracted by phone calls or by using ear buds.”

—Staff writer Caroline C. Hunsicker can be reached at caroline.hunsicker@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @cchunsicker.

CrimeCollegeHUPDCambridge