Letters

Letter to the Editor: Harvard Supports All of Its Students

By Sally Donahue and Marlyn E. McGrath

To the Editor,

We read The Crimson’s editorial, Recognizing Undocumented Students at Harvard, with interest.

As you correctly acknowledge, Harvard College’s policies regarding undocumented students are very straightforward—simply put, we do not take account of immigration status in any part of our admissions process, including recruitment, acceptance, and financial aid.

On the topic of financial aid, we wanted to provide some additional context for how aid is awarded to undocumented students. As you point out, undocumented students are not eligible for federal aid, and we would not want to put them through the process of filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) unnecessarily. But they can still receive grant aid from Harvard, and so, like international students, undocumented students fill out a College Scholarship Service profile, but not the FAFSA. It is important to note that at Harvard, domestic and international students are eligible for the exact same need-based financial aid, but the sources of this financial aid are different and require different application forms.

Additionally, all students on financial aid, including undocumented students, can apply to receive additional funding through Harvard’s Beneficiary Aid Program, which provides additional financial assistance to students facing emergency term-time costs that will prove to be an extreme financial hardship for their families. Any student experiencing financial difficulty is encouraged to visit the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to speak with a financial aid officer, so we can extend our support.

Finally, we would underscore the College’s resources for undocumented students, beyond those referenced in your editorial. The College’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion helps direct students to advisers and counselors in the Bureau of Study Counsel, the Office of Career Services, Harvard’s International Office, the Student Employment Office, and University Health Services—all of whom can assist them.

Harvard supports all of our students.

Sincerely,
Marlyn McGrath and Sally Donahue

Sally Donahue is the Griffin Director of Financial Aid at Harvard College. Marlyn E. McGrath ’70-’73 is the Director of Admissions at Harvard College.

Letters