Professor Argues For Increased Political Involvement from Scientists

Professor Naomi Oreskes speaks to an audience in Science Center Hall B on Wednesday night. Her speech, entitled “The Scientist as Sentinel,” focused on scientists speaking publicly on contested issues, including nuclear weaponry, ozone depletion, and climate change.
Professor Naomi Oreskes speaks to an audience in Science Center Hall B on Wednesday night. Her speech, entitled “The Scientist as Sentinel,” focused on scientists speaking publicly on contested issues, including nuclear weaponry, ozone depletion, and climate change. By Eunice N. Michieka
By Ameerah Y. Ahmad, Contributing Writer

History of Science professor Naomi Oreskes implored scientists to take political action on issues like climate change during a lecture Wednesday in Science Center B.

Oreskes, who specializes in the history of environmental science, described several instances of historic intervention by scientists in issues of political importance such as the nuclear arms race and the Clean Air Act. Oreskes argued that scientists today have a responsibility to speak out about climate change because of their proximate expertise on the topic.

“It is our responsibility because we are best able to do so,” Oreskes said. “We need to speak because facts don’t actually speak for themselves.”

Oreskes said scientists are often wary of being viewed as less credible both inside and outside of the scientific community when their work becomes associated with political debates.

“The fear of losing scientific credibility is exactly that: fear,” she said, adding that she thinks this fear is unfounded.

During a question and answer session after the lecture, Andy A. Zucker ’67 said he had noticed several notable scientists advocating for policies to combat climate change already.

“Many climate scientists are speaking out,” Zucker said. “It isn’t clear to me what difference that is making.”

In response, Oreskes said that more of the “over ten thousand climate scientists” could speak out and create change, particularly if those voices included a greater diversity of religious and political backgrounds.

Additionally, she pointed to three trends she said prevented public officials from acting on scientific findings: political beliefs, economic interests, and values. She said these trends “question the science and attack the scientists.” Specifically, she said American fear of losing personal freedoms, skepticism of the federal government, and wariness of higher taxes create a distrust of scientific facts.

“Freedom is important, but so are so many other things. In the long run, climate change deniers are not protecting our freedom, they are threatening it,” she said.

Oreskes also urged scientists to challenge the assertion that climate change would require bigger government or higher taxes. Oreskes lecture comes days after President Donald Trump signed an executive order reversing the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan.

Sciences DivisionHistory of Science