Kero Kero Bonito Get Far Out With New Single, ‘Only Acting’

By Courtesy of Kero Kero Bonito
By Alasdair P. MacKenzie, Contributing Writer

British trio Kero Kero Bonito have carved out a niche in what I call “adult children’s music,” distinguished by Sarah Midori Perry’s sing-song delivery of childlike—yet thoughtful—lyrics over eminently danceable pop grooves. The group’s new single, “Only Acting,” bears the aforementioned hallmarks of their earlier work: Perry’s signature chirp is front and center, and the drums are as danceable as ever. But it has an experimental edge lacking in previous KKB material. Even with such radical experimentation, Kero Kero Bonito are able to turn “Only Acting” into a masterfully executed song.

That experimentation is most noticeable in the last 50 seconds of the single, which simulate a series of digital glitches. A split-second of the song repeats like a skipping CD, followed another fragment that eerily plays slowly, so muddy that individual instruments and notes are impossible to make out. And finally, a portion of the song plays backwards, obscured by white noise. These 50 seconds are more interesting on paper than they are enjoyable on speakers, but the first three minutes of the track are so infectiously fun that the deconstructive denouement feels more than earned.

The song’s outro is the most obvious place to hear unusual sonic choices in “Only Acting,” but its experimentalism is not confined to its final minute. The brief moments of atonality during the first verse and the full-on noise interlude that follows the first chorus would be just as jarring as the outro if not for Perry’s voice, and the drums remain recognizable through each, like Sherpa guides through a blizzard. The abrupt stylistic switch that occurs as the first chorus begins—from chilled-out pop to maximalist, Foo-Fighters-esque rock—is equally notable for its experimental fearlessness. If not for the even more unusual choices made in this song, the focus would be on that transition alone.

A lesser band’s track might crumble under the weight of all this experimentation, but Kero Kero Bonito keep “Only Acting” captivating and pleasant. They pull it off because they remember the core elements of good pop music—a memorable melody, a strong beat, and a compelling vocal performance—and give those elements prominence, even when the going gets wildly experimental.

MusicArts