Arts Playlist: 13 Songs to Get You Through Spring Semester

Let's hope the summer comes fast.
Let's hope the summer comes fast. By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
By Eli Zuzovsky, Crimson Staff Writer

Spring term can be a challenging time. The new year has just begun, the days are long and cold, and winter break seems like a distant dream. To help you make it safely through the coming weeks, I’ve compiled this playlist.

Long Weekend (Feb. 18 - Feb. 24): “More, More, More” by Andrea True Connection

We all love Presidents’ Day — not so much because we love the president, but because it allows us to enjoy a long, relaxing weekend three weeks into the semester. And what’s a better way to celebrate this wonderful occasion than listening to one of the best classics of the disco era?

Week #5 (Feb. 25 - March 3): “All Dead, All Dead” by Queen

As the second month of the semester begins, you might wonder, just like Brian May, why you still live on. “All Dead” might not provide an answer, but it’s such a brilliant song.

Pre-Midterms (March 4 - March 10): “Habib Galbi” by A-WA

Right before midterm season, these three Israeli sisters of Yemini descent will make you want to put down the books and dance on a table at Widener. The song, whose title means “love of my heart” in Arabic, fuses traditional Yemenite tunes with hip-hop. Listening to it might be the highlight of your week.

Midterms: (March 11 - March 17): “Work Bitch” by Britney Spears

The Queen of Pop couldn’t have phrased it better: You want an A in Ec 10b? You better work, bitch.

Spring Break (March 18 - March 24): “Oh! You Pretty Things” by David Bowie

The days are getting longer, nature is born anew, and for 10 days, you don’t have to go to class. Whether you’re in Cambridge, back home, or elsewhere, Bowie is excellent company, as always.

Back to School (March 25 - March 31): “As Tears Go By” by Marianne Faithfull

Marianne Faithfull and Mick Jagger cry as they watch the children play. But hopefully, you are smiling as you’re crossing the Yard on your way to your first lecture after a wonderful spring break.

Week #10 (April 1 - April 7): “White Nights” by Psychic TV

As papers and exams accumulate on your desk or desktop, your nights are getting progressively shorter. This experimental, acid house music group from England might make you feel slightly better about it.

Three-quarters In (April 8 - April 14): “Non, je ne regrette rien” by Edith Piaf

Congratulations! You are now 75 percent into the semester. At this point, regrets will be of no use. So forget about that response paper you submitted late or that party you were too tired to go to and listen to some words of wisdom from the diva of the French chansons.

Almost There (April 15 - April 21): “Chega de Saudade” by João Gilberto

“Home is where the heart is / The funny part is / My heart's been right there all along,” reads the English version of one of the greatest bossa nova songs. Whether your heart is at Harvard or not, you can still enjoy the beautiful music of João Gilberto.

Two Weeks (April 22 - April 28): “Two Weeks” by Grizzly Bear

Literally. Two weeks of classes. Hang in there. And listen to Grizzly Bear.

Last Week of Classes (April 29 - May 5): “Finally” by CeCe Peniston

Listening to CeCe Peniston’s 1991 debut single — “the quintessential ‘90s dance song,” according to BuzzFeed — is the perfect way to celebrate the end of classes. If you’re looking for a song that will instantly make you forget about any exams on the horizon, “Finally” might be your best option.

Reading Period (May 6 - May 12): “Miss Butter’s Lament” by Harry Nilsson

In May 1968, when The Beatles was asked what their favorite American artist was, their answer was “Nilsson.” Reading period is a great opportunity to honor the work of this incredibly-talented — and widely-underestimated — singer-songwriter, that you might haven’t even heard of.

Finals Week (May 13 - May 19): “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

You did it. You’ve spent afternoons at Widener and nights at Lamont; you’ve aced your midterms and attended every lecture. Now all you have to do is pull through finals. Why don’t you enlist the help of Gloria Gaynor?

—Staff writer Eli Zuzovsky can be reached at eli.zuzovsky@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCulture