Top Five Movies Coming Out This Summer

“Avengers: Endgame” comes out April 26.
“Avengers: Endgame” comes out April 26. By Courtesy of Youtube / Marvel Studios
By Derrick Ochiagha, Contributing Writer

Get. Hype. Believe it or not, summer is fast approaching, and the season just isn’t complete without a new batch of movies to get excited about. From kids’ films to adult dramas, indies to blockbusters, there’s something for everyone. Here are five of the best trailers for films coming out this summer. Let’s hope the actual movies compare.

Rocketman (May 31)

I see your “Bohemian Rhapsody” and I’ll raise you one “Rocketman.” Directed by Dexter Fletcher, this fantastical biopic chronicles the rise of music legend Elton John, and promises to be an enchanting and crowd pleasing event. Musical biopics are all the rage right now, and this is shaping up to be a potentially massive crowd favorite. Watch it for the costumes. Watch it for the ‘70s hairdos. Watch it for Taron Egerton singing Elton John’s most iconic songs. (Yes, that’s really him singing in the trailer.)

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (May 10)

Everybody and their mother has at least passing knowledge of Pokémon. Maybe you watched the anime back in middle school. Maybe Pokémon Go took over your life three summers ago. Maybe you won your girlfriend that Jigglypuff plushie at the carnival. As such, you should expect “Detective Pikachu” to be one of the biggest films of the summer. The new digital take on the Pokémon looks surprisingly stunning, and the titular detective, voiced by “Deadpool’s” Ryan Reynolds, looks poised to steal the show.

The Lion King (July 19)

If you’re starting to get tired of all these recent Disney remakes, I feel you. We’ve already gotten “Beauty and the Beast,” “Cinderella,” and “Alice in Wonderland,” with dozens more still to come. But this one is upping the ante. Directed by Jon Favreau, who also helmed 2016’s “The Jungle Book,” this “live-action” (i.e. 100 percent CGI) retelling of “The Lion King” promises to be a technological and visual marvel. The songs are iconic, the story is incredible, and the cast — including Donald Glover, James Earl Jones, and BEYONCÉ — is to die for. Don’t be surprised when this film makes approximately all of the money come summer 2019.

Yesterday (June 28)

So...this trailer came out of nowhere and looks amazing. Refreshingly not based on any prior IP, this Danny Boyle-directed musical comedy sees a down-on-his-luck musician entering a parallel universe where he is the only person who remembers the songs of the Beatles. What would you do with that kind of opportunity? Is plagiarizing still wrong if the creator never existed? The movie looks funny, sweet, romantic, and totally original. This could be the sleeper hit of 2019.

Avengers: Endgame (April 26)

You all knew this would be number one. The Avengers kick the summer movie season off in April this year, and we’re all holding our breath in anticipation. This is the culmination of 22 films' worth of buildup over 11 years, so you’re going to want to be in the know for what’ll likely be the biggest film of the year. Not much is known about the plot just yet, but we know it takes place after the last film’s villain successfully wiped out half of the world’s population with a single snap (it makes more sense in context). Will the remaining Avengers be able to pick up the pieces, and save the world?

ArtsCulture