Arts Playlist: The Moody Blues

Album cover for “At Last” by Etta James
Album cover for “At Last” by Etta James By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
By Mariam A. Sousou, Contributing Writer

Maybe you’ve dabbled in various music genres, or maybe you stick with what plays on your local Top 40 station. Regardless of your music preferences, give blues a chance if you haven’t already. One of America’s most iconic music genres, blues is both integral to and reflective of this country’s DNA. Enjoy these songs, which show the range of what blues has to offer.

Listen to the playlist here.

“Coming Home” by Leon Bridges

Leon Bridges, a modern day blues genius, has a silky voice that will leave you with a grin on your face. This soft, beautiful, bright song will keep you grounded and focused while you work.

“Lovely Day” by Bill Withers

Is Bill Withers really blues? Not all the songs on this playlist fall under the constricted view of what most people think blues is. Blues is a family of many genres — including Withers’ funky and upbeat songs. “Lovely Day” will inspire you to carpe diem, smile at the sun, and dance in your seat.

“Soul Man” by Sam & Dave

Another blues outlier! This one is a great way to start your day. Sam & Dave’s funky and cheerful song will get you up and dancing no matter where you are. Move your feet! Get going! and Watch this short and beloved clip of Drake and Josh’s rendition of the song.

“A Sunday Kind of Love” by Etta James

Here’s a classic Sunday song by the “Matriarch of R&B,” Etta James. This song, which will help you look past your Saturday mistakes and fall in love with the Sunday ahead of you. When you’re not in the mood for the complicated beats of EDM, allow Etta’s honey-like vocals to help you relax.

“Mannish Boy” by Muddy Waters

This playlist celebrates outliers like Bill Withers, but it also embraces deeply rooted and classic blues artists like Muddy Waters. This song is not as soothing as those Bridges or Etta, but it will get you hype, yet relaxed to get stuff done. Muddy starts his song by reassuring you that “Everything’s gonna be alright this morning.” He’s a wise man.

“Feeling Good” by Nina Simone

Nina Simone, the “High Priestess of Soul,” will get you “Feeling Good” in the wee hours of the morn. This song will get you excited for the day ahead while also offering beauty with her unique vocals and impressive range.

“Change is Gonna Come” by Otis Redding

Otis Redding says it better than anyone. Don’t you worry, my friends. A change is gonna come and you won’t feel this horrible for long. Otis, like Leon Bridges, has a silky voice that will soothe all your worries.

“Here We Go Again” by Ray Charles and Norah Jones

This is a rendition of Ray Charles’ song sung by an absolutely iconic duo: Ray Charles, “The Father of Soul,” and another modern blues artist with stunning vocals, Norah Jones. Both these singers have mellifluous vocals that will motivate you to get through the day even though you’re thinking, “Here We Go Again.”

“Drown in My Own Tears” by Ray Charles

Even if you may feel like you’re about to drown in your own tears, Ray’s beautiful lyrics will help you get through this hard time.

“(What A) Wonderful World” by Sam Cooke

Like Cooke says: “Don't know much about history. Don't know much biology. Don't know much about a science book, don't know much about the French I took.” You might feel lost in the work that you really don’t know much about, so bask in Cooke’s mellow lyrics and vocals.

“At Last” by Etta James

Another classic Etta song that is perhaps most appropriate when finishing that last piece of math p-set you have to do. Etta is a true artist and will make you want to bask in the warmth of her voice. “The skies above are blue” and you can carry on with your day.

ArtsCulture