American rock band Young the Giant performed for an audience of thousands at Rockland Trust Bank Pavilion in June.

In Photos: Young the Giant in Concert

By Mariah Ellen D. Dimalaluan and Amanda Y. Su
American rock band Young the Giant performed for an audience of thousands at Rockland Trust Bank Pavilion in June. By Amanda Y. Su

American rock band Young the Giant performed for an audience of thousands at Rockland Trust Bank Pavilion on the summer solstice last month.

The Boston performance on June 21 was the fifth stop on Young The Giant’s 34-stop North American tour with indie pop band Fitz and The Tantrums. The tour follows the 2018 release of Young the Giant’s fourth studio album Mirror Master, featuring their single “Superposition.”

By Mariah Ellen D. Dimalaluan

American indie pop band COIN opened the concert with performances of songs including “Talk Too Much,” “Cemetery,” and their newly-released single “Crash My Car,” which was released a week prior to the performance. COIN will accompany Young the Giant at 24 stops on the band’s tour.

Following COIN’s performance, co-headliner Fitz and the Tantrums performed a setlist stacked with their hits, including “Out of My League,” “HandClap,” and their brand new single “123456.” The release of “123456” marked the first new music from the band since its eponymous album in 2016.

As the sun finally set over the Boston Harbor on the summer solstice, Young the Giant arrived on stage around 9 p.m. to a crowd of cheering fans. They performed their first-ever, chart-topping singles "My Body," "Cough Syrup," and "Apartment” as well as songs from their latest LP, Mirror Master.

Young the Giant lead singer Sameer Gadhia told Billboard magazine in October that the band’s music has always been a “snapshot” of who they are as a band and as people. While Gadhia described the band’s 2016 album Home of the Strange as an “external record” about immigrants’ experiences situating themselves in the United States, he said Mirror Master is “reflective.”

“It’s not just where I fit into the world, it’s like where I fit into myself,” Gadhia said.

MusicArtsPhoto Essay