Relationships are Built and Broken on the 40th Premiere of ‘Survivor’

Nick Wilson, Sophie Clarke, Tony Vlachos, Sandra Diaz-Twine, Tyson Apostol, Amber Brkich Mariano, Wendell Holland, Sarah Lacina, Yul Kwon, Kim Spradlin and Jeff Probst at Tribal Council on "Survivor: Winners at War."
Nick Wilson, Sophie Clarke, Tony Vlachos, Sandra Diaz-Twine, Tyson Apostol, Amber Brkich Mariano, Wendell Holland, Sarah Lacina, Yul Kwon, Kim Spradlin and Jeff Probst at Tribal Council on "Survivor: Winners at War." By Courtesy of CBS
By Derrick Ochiagha, Crimson Staff Writer

“Thirty-nine days! Twenty people! One survivor!” The iconic tagline was heard nationwide on Feb. 12 as “Survivor” kicked off its 40th season: “Winners at War.” Only the fifth all-star season in its 20-year history, “Winners at War” sees 20 former champions return to compete for the title of Sole Survivor and the two million dollar prize that goes with it.

“Survivor” is a game based on relationships, usually between strangers coming together to control the weekly vote. The fact that this cast comprises all winners complicates things immensely — not only do the castaways know how their tribemates competed on their winning seasons, but many have become friends outside of the game (two competing winners, Amber and Rob Mariano, even got married following their flagship seasons). Being part of a duo can be a blessing or a curse on “Survivor,” usually depending on how well the players can downplay their bond. In that regard, Jeremy Collins and Natalie Anderson are an interesting test case.

Both players began their “Survivor” journey in Season 29, where they immediately formed a tight friendship. Anderson went on to win the season, while Collins returned just one year later for a second chance and pulled off a unanimous victory. Now both “Survivor” champions, Collins and Anderson were placed on the blue “Sele” tribe and returned with huge targets on their back for their in-game and post-game friendship. When Sele lost the first immunity challenge, splitting up the power couple became the primary goal of the group: Anderson became the first castaway voted off the island in a 7-2-1 vote.

Counterintuitively, it seems that lacking a prior connection to fellow tribe mates will be a big advantage this season. On the red “Dakal” tribe, Yul Kwon, winner of the 13th season, was quickly able to put an alliance together between himself and tribe mates Sophie Georgina Clarke, Nick Wilson, and Wendell Holland, predicated on the fact that they’re not closely tied to any other players. Much like Anderson, Amber Mariano soon found herself in a tricky spot — having her husband on the island essentially serves as neon “VOTE ME OUT” sign. And not 40 minutes later she faced the same fate as Anderson, becoming the first player voted off of her tribe with six votes.

If you're new to “Survivor,” it might be intimidating to jump right into an “all winners” season. The tangled web of relationships both inside and outside of the game might be difficult to grasp right away, but stick with it — the show does a great job at getting new viewers up to speed on the relationship dynamics of the contestants. Clips from prior seasons and expository confessionals quickly and effectively convey the depth of the various relationships and, more importantly, how these relationships will impact this season. Veteran viewers quickly find that they cannot take past relationships for granted; despite spending 36 days together as island mentors to a new cast just last season, any presumptions of an alliance between Rob and Sandra Diaz-Twine are quickly dashed. Sandra, currently “Survivor”’s only two-time winner, spearheaded the move to blindside his wife.

The gameplay this season promises to be cutthroat. The $2 million cash prize — upped from the usual $1 million and now the largest grand prize in reality show history — seems to be a major factor: “It’s $2 million. I mean, that in itself will cause a lot of people to just do anything,” Sandra Diaz-Twine said moments before the second vote. “And if friends have to be lost along the way, then I think it’s a price every single person out here will be willing to pay.” Survivor’s 40th season is a welcome return for this long running reality competition, whose brutal conditions and ruthless gameplay ensure its continued relevance. Thirty-nine days! Twenty people! Who will be the Sole Survivor?

—Staff writer Derrick Ochiagha can be reached at derrick.ochiagha@thecrimson.com.

ArtsTV