New Slowthai Single ‘nhs’ Exemplifies Emotional Growth

The cover image for "nhs" from Slowthai
The cover image for "nhs" from Slowthai
By Ryan S. Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

The new single from North Hampton rapper Slowthai, “nhs,” showcases his maturation as an artist and pays a moving tribute to the UK National Health Service.

The track is the second promotional single off his upcoming album, “Tyron,” which is set to release in February 2021. The project is the follow up to his 2019 studio debut “Nothing Great About Britain,” and it sports an impressive tracklist, including features from first time Slowthai collaborators A$AP Rocky, Deb Never, and Dominic Fike. In September, Slowthai released the first single off the album, “feel away,” with help from acclaimed British electronic artists James Blake and Mount Kimbie, a departure from the bangers that defined much of “Nothing Great About Britain.” As a follow up, “nhs” continues the mellow trend of “feel away,” perhaps signalling a new era for Slowthai.

Producer Kwes Darko wears his James Blake inspiration on his sleeve. Darko, who made multiple contributions to “Nothing Great About Britain,” ditches the string instrument loops used in his earlier work with Slowthai in favor of spacey, James Blake-inspired pedal tones. Darko’s layering and drum structure takes melodic cues from Blake’s 2011 self-titled debut album. The song also employs the rolling harmonies explored by Darko on tracks like “Gorgeous” and “Ladies” off of Slowthai’s debut, resulting in a rhythmic warmth similar to that of “feel away.”

Yet the track achieves much more than simple James Blake cosplay, thanks to Slowthai’s melodic and smooth delivery. The rapper is battle-tested when it comes to flowing over aggressive beats — releasing a run of hard-edged singles over the summer, including one with current hip-hop it-man Kenny Beats. As a result, “nhs” represents a pivot for Slowthai, away from his signature upbeat sound towards a softer, more intimate narrative. Like “feel away,” the track is another entry that nicely diversifies the rapper’s discography.

Slowthai transitions to a fresh lyrical approach, one that allows him to explore his emotions and express his gratitude. On the track, Slowthai takes an inward look at his emotions, a rare occurrence within his catalogue: “My demons pry feelings, die dreaming / No glass ceiling, try peelin' back layers to find meaning.” In the song’s accompanying music video, Slowthai stands on a tower of toilet paper, a reference to the hoarding that took place at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Midway through the track, he dedicates the song to the UK National Health Service: “NHS, this one's for the NHS.” There have been only a few songs written about the coronavirus pandemic, and even fewer thanking health care workers. Slowthai’s singing on the hook and effortless flow heighten the sincerity of his words.

The North Hampton rapper is in the midst of a rebrand from rabble-rouser to well-rounded artist. Up to this point in his career, Slowthai’s public persona has been unfiltered and divisive, which equally earned him fans as it drove others away. At the 2019 Hyundai Mercury Prize hosted by the BBC, the rapper went viral for walking onto the stage with a prosthetic of Boris Johnson’s severed head, yelling “Fuck Boris.” Slowthai had a similarly controversial experience at the 2020 NME awards, drunkenly accepting his “Hero of the Year'' award and attempting to make a pass at presenter Katherine Ryan. Following the incident, Twitter users moved to “cancel” the rapper. In the months since the incident, Slowthai has apologized to Ryan and NME on multiple occasions, calling Ryan, “the true hero of the year,” on Twitter. Ryan has also expressed that she was not made uncomfortable by the altercation.

Slowthai’s latest music seems to suggest that he’s turned a new leaf, with less focus on rage and more attention to growth

MusicArts