‘Tomorrow 2’ Review: Glorilla and Cardi B Co-sign

Cover art for Glorilla and Cardi B's "Tomorrow 2."
Cover art for Glorilla and Cardi B's "Tomorrow 2." By Courtesy of Glorilla and Cardi B / CMG / Interscope Records
By Christian A. Gines, Contributing Writer

On the remix of “Tomorrow 2,” Memphis rapper Glorilla enlists NYC Rapper Cardi B to effectively combine the hard braggadocious style of Southern Rap with the Bronx East Coast Drill style. In its first week, the song has already hit number one on the Apple Music charts, adding another gem to Cardi B’s ever-growing list of number ones. A music video also accompanied the newly released song, which Glorilla and Cardi B filmed in various parts of New York. The original song, “Tomorrow,” was first released this summer on The CMG Label album “Gangsta Art.” Glorilla recently signed to Yo Gotti’s Memphis record label Collective Music Group in July of this year, in the aftermath of her hit single “FNF” produced with Hitkidd.

The Memphis rap scene, often ignored and undervalued in most hip hop and rap discussions, is one with deep historical roots and is hugely influential to the national and global rap scene. With Glorilla’s stardom and popularity rising with every song she drops, she is currently situating herself within this tradition of Memphis Gangsta rap pioneered by artists such as the late Young Dolph and younger rappers like NLE Choppa, Duke Deuce, Key Glock, and Pooh Shiesty.

The song starts with the producer tag, “Cheese his name is Cheese,” the tag for Macaroni Toni, as the listener is brought into the world of Memphis Gangsta Rap with a hard 808 beat and a simple piano melody extremely conducive to head-bopping. On the track, Glorilla calls out all her haters with the statement, “They say they don’t f*ck with me, but I say they can’t f*ck with me. Just like the air, I’m everywhere, how you say it’s up with me?”

When the first verse comes, Glorilla floats on the beat as she brags about looking good, finally making it, leaving her ex, cutting off her friends, and being too expensive to keep. If “FNF” was about leaving her man and being outside for the summer, then “Tomorrow 2” brings that same braggadocious flair as she raps, “When I lose a n*gga, I just pop out and go find some morе. Soon as I feel like my time get wastеd, then it’s time to go.” Glorilla’s focus is on tomorrow as the chorus’s theme is one of tomorrow always promising a better day.

That better day for Glorilla has come. She has made it, as she sits on the heels of signing a contract with a major record label that included a $500k signing bonus, and with more money and fame comes more haters, which Glorilla addresses by saying that “Them b*tches should’ve stayed down, they could’ve been up with me. But all they doin’ is talkin’ down, ’cause they can’t get up with me.” And what better way of demonstrating that one has made in the rap game than having a Cardi B feature.

Cardi comes in flexing hard with the statement that she “looks good as f*ck” and that although she’s rich, she’s still “hood as f*ck,” mirroring the sentiments that Glorilla articulates in her first verse. Then Cardi starts talking about her haters — she states that although they talk about her, they still listen to her songs, and she still has court cases pending, and that the haters might want to keep their mouths shut.

Cardi then switches up her flow and cadence on the second half of her verse, taking listeners from a hard head bop rhythm to a shorter, choppier flow. Here Cardi throws out disses to an unknown “she,” who one could speculate is Nicki Minaj, as they have had music and Twitter beef as recently as last week. But when the beat and the flow sound so good, one can’t help but sing along as Cardi raps. She even gives a nod to the viral song “Munch” by fellow up-and-coming female rapper Ice Spice, with the line, “That n*gga a munch and he gone eat me like a Mango.” Cardi doesn’t disappoint with her verse as she gives Glorilla a huge co-sign, and the song ends with the chorus one more time with Glorilla giving us hope for a brighter day, rapping, “Every day the sun won’t shine, but that’s why I love tomorrow.”

One can consider “Tomorrow 2” the modern-day “Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow” track from the musical “Annie” with its catchy lyrics, contagious beat, and playful music video. If “Tomorrow 2” is emblematic of the type of music that Glorilla will make in the future, then she is definitely here to stay.

MusicArts