Space Adventure Exhibition: An Accessible Trip to the Moon

Space suits and rockets pictured at Space Adventure: The Arrival of Man on the Moon.
Space suits and rockets pictured at Space Adventure: The Arrival of Man on the Moon. By Courtesy of Kane Sjoberg
By Elizabeth A. Kozlov, Crimson Staff Writer

Nestled in Chelsea, Massachusetts in a lot previously used for the filming of movies, sat Space Adventure — a unique and immersive exhibition celebrating the arrival of the Man on the Moon. The exhibit consisted of a space travel simulator and a NASA merch shop.

The excursion began with a welcome from a presenter dressed in a space suit, who then led guests down a lit-up pathway to a room, where a four-minute clip played. The compilation told the story of man’s first venture into space, and was fittingly set to Elton John's iconic song “Rocket Man.” The telegenic presentation set a mood of amazement, wonder, and nostalgia.

After the presentation concluded, the audience moved into a large gallery with glass cases of authentic space suits around the walls, plaques highlighting key moments throughout the history of space exploration, and recognitions of various individuals, scientific and political, who made the journeys possible. Guests were able to engage interactively with an alcove full of coloring books for kids, a space-flight simulator, a virtual reality station, and a gift shop with all space-adjacent items one could imagine.

Leo Robinson, the longest-serving city councilmember in Chelsea who was involved in coordinating the event, spoke proudly of the scientific potential this display offers the community. “This is huge. We are in a space where 23 movies were filmed (including, but not limited to; “Equalizer,” “Gone Baby Gone,” and “Ted”), and this is the first science exhibit,” he said.

David A. Rosenfeld, a promoter and producer with Primo Entertainment, shared the logistics that went into coordinating the exhibit. Some of the exhibits were brought all the way from Brazil; others had to be loaned from NASA. Rosenfeld also pointed to the delicate nature with which those memorabilia had to be handled. “We licensed from a museum, which licenses with NASA, so as you can see in the main room where all the artifacts are, there are secure cases, locks, and we have security and cameras 24/7, and the way we transport and handle them is also very particular,” he said.

A lot of thought and care went into the spatial design of the exhibit. “There are several ton rockets hanging from the ceiling, so we needed specific permits to make sure the ceiling could hold them,” Rosenfeld said. These logistical hurdles, however, did not detract from the success of the exhibition. “What’s different about us is that we’re not really an immersive exhibit — which have really taken off over the pandemic — there are immersive areas, but we also have over 300 original NASA items that went to the moon, and have been in space,” Rosenfeld said. “So it’s a museum mixed with interactive and immersive spaces.”

Joseph H. Fuchs, an attendee at the exhibition echoed the excitement and sentiments of the creators. “This is the first exhibit of this nature that I’m attending. And it’s amazing. I lived through the first launches, since I'm 80 years old, and it’s just amazing to see the actual shoes and helmets they wore, the moon dust on their boots and rockets. It’s an unbelievable display and I’m so excited that it’s in our city.”

Overall, the experience was family-friendly, and offered many ways for attendees to interact with space-themed paraphernalia. From canned cherries that have been to space to an actual astronaut’s suit, the interactive and immersive exhibition had much to offer to the community.

—Staff writer Elizabeth A. Kozlov can be reached at elizabeth.kozlov@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCampus Arts