Best Musicals To Listen To: A Taste of Theatrical Excellence Without the Hassle

By Angel Zhang
By Aiden J. Bowers, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite the immense and growing popularity of musical theater, it remains an art form with a barrier to accessibility. While streaming services and movie theaters are becoming increasingly commonplace and accessible, seeing a Broadway or touring cast show is not so easy as turning on your TV. Experiencing the magic of musical theater poses challenges such as high ticket prices, limited runs, and travel. Because of this inaccessibility, many avid fans of musical theater have only been exposed to the soundtracks of the shows they love.

Some shows are easier to follow from just the soundtrack than others. Other musicals lose their luster without the enchantment of live performance. Below are some of the best musical theater soundtracks to listen to in lieu of securing yourself a seat in the theater.

“Dreamgirls” (1981)

Part of the charm of “Dreamgirls” is how stylistically detached it is from traditional musical theater. Blending gospel, R&B, smooth pop, disco and more into a characteristic Motown sound, the musical is sonically exciting and a joy to listen to. Well-timed spoken lines and diegetic music add clarity to the narrative, allowing the listener to follow the plot, so a thorough listen through the album is sufficient to experience a taste of what “Dreamgirls” has to offer.

“Heathers: The Musical” (2013)

Because it’s based on a movie, the plot of “Heathers The Musical” is a lot more accessible than other musicals. Still, just by listening to the soundtrack, it’s easy to follow and even easier on the ears. Featuring a wide variety of music and ’80s-inspired orchestration — complete with a synth — “Heathers: The Musical” is a worthy listen.

“The Phantom of the Opera” (1986)

This operetta offers a different sort of musical pleasure to the listener, with vocals perfect for avid fans of classical singing and orchestration evocative of ’80s rock. Masterful composition and beautiful melodies are major appeals of this cast recording. Completely sung-through, the plot is well-conveyed through the soundtrack alone, making it a perfect first-time listen, even if there’s no opportunity to watch it live.

“Hamilton” (2015)

One of the factors that might have contributed to the soar to stardom of “Hamilton” is the listenability of its soundtrack. With a generic mix of rap, hip-hop, pop, soul, and traditional musical theater, the music provides stimulating variety and memorable showtunes that can reach audiences regardless of proximity to a theater. Also sung-through, the plot is easy enough to follow — and with a soundtrack like this, it might not even matter.

“Cats” (1981)

“Cats” is a great listen, from exciting dissonance to wonderfully-’80s synth beats. Sung-through as it is, the plot may still not come across as clearly as many would like — it’s somewhat convoluted, even for the live audience. Nonetheless, the album retains its intrigue from overture to finale, making a classic theater staple more broadly accessible for a listen. “Cats” is less about the plot and more about the spectacle, after all.

“Rent” (1996)

Another staple, “Rent” boasts a spunky, rock atmosphere that is sure to delight the listener. Many hits from the soundtrack like “Take Me or Leave Me” sound more like chart-topping hits than a musical cast album, making “Rent” fit seamlessly in the usual playlist rotation. At the same time, the plot is well-conveyed — and even if it weren’t, the music stands alone.

“Waitress” (2015)

“Waitress” stands out from other musical soundtracks in its ability to convey the personality of its lovable cast of characters even without being able to see them on stage. Accents and inflection add an extra layer of expression to an already engaging and fun cast recording. Some of the interludes are included in this soundtrack as well which might have been cut in another show, making this a more complete representation of the musical.

Listening to the soundtracks above provides some of the most well-rounded musical theater experiences possible without ever stepping foot inside a theater. While the beauty of live theater can never be perfectly replicated by a streaming service, these albums are a great way to get a Broadway fix from one of the many towns touring casts never seem to reach. Until theater becomes more widely accessible — both spatially and financially — hopefully these recommendations can fill that void.

—Staff writer Aiden J. Bowers can be reached at aiden.bowers@thecrimson.com.

TheaterArts