Undressed for Success: Primal Screamers Streak Through Yard on Rainy Eve of Finals Period

By Julia N. Do
By Tyler J.H. Ory, Lenny R. Pische, and Summer Z. Sun, Crimson Staff Writers

Enduring rain and muddy conditions, undergraduates screamed and stripped for a naked sprint around Harvard Yard to relieve the stress of finals period.

Primal Scream is the biannual tradition of running a naked lap around the Yard on the eve of final exams, dating back to at least 1995. On Sunday, moments before midnight, hundreds of students gathered in front of Hollis Hall prepared to stop, drop their clothes, and weave through the mass of naked bodies.

The Harvard University Band also congregated in front of the John Harvard statue, serenading the students as they completed the run.

Onlookers including Harvard students — and non-Harvard spectators — sported umbrellas and rain jackets. While an uncharacteristic 61.5-degrees-Fahrenheit December evening kept streakers warm, several participants fell victim to the rainy conditions — taking a nude tumble into the Yard’s muddy greenery.

Many students, especially freshmen, said they were eager to take part in the Primal Scream tradition.

“I’m fired up. I heard this is tradition, so I think it’s time for us to have some fun.” Jahir Tineo Castillo ’27 said.

Felicity A.P. Sibold ’27 described Primal Scream as a “rite of passage” for freshmen.

“I feel like I’m going to regret it if I don’t participate,” she added.

E. Elson Bankoff ’27 said she felt empowered by the chance to bare it all.

“Honestly, any day I could have my boobs out is a good day,” Bankoff said. “And that’s on feminist theory.”

Post-run, many participants said they felt more connected to other students through Primal Scream.

“I was feeling a bit insecure at first, but when everybody does it, it’s like a community thing. You get to be a part of Harvard,” Tomas Arroyo ’27 said.

Ryan F. Irving ’27 also said he had initial doubts about completing the run but ultimately had a positive experience.

“Honestly, it’s nights like this that make you realize Harvard is an awesome community,” Irving said.

“I didn’t think I was going to do it. But you come and you see everyone — everyone’s having fun, everyone’s screaming,” he added. “It’s great to be with everybody.”

Though Lauren H. Cooke ’24 didn’t participate, she stood by the finish line holding her friends’ clothes.

“People have a good time. It’s a way to relieve some stress before finals.” Cooke said.

Ashmit Singh ’27 described his first Primal Scream as “an amazing event” that was “really fun.”

“I would like to thank my parents for giving me good genes to show off today,” he added.

—Staff writer Tyler J.H. Ory can be reached at tyler.ory@thecrimson.com.

CollegeStudent LifeHarvard YardFront Photo Feature