'Call Me What You Like' Single Review: A Promising Signal for Lovejoy’s New Era

4 Stars

Lovejoy released "Call Me What You Like" on Feb. 10
Lovejoy released "Call Me What You Like" on Feb. 10 By Courtesy of Lovejoy / AWAL
By Rachel A. Beard, Contributing Writer

On their new single “Call Me What You Like,” British indie-rock band Lovejoy explores the complexities of human relationships. Composed of Wilbur Soot as the frontman, Joe Goldsmith on the guitar, Ash Kabosu as the bassist, and Mark Boardman on the drums, the up-and-coming band claims they are ushering in a “new era of Lovejoy” with the release in promotion of their upcoming EP, currently referred to by the unofficial name “wu&io.” With a more intense and energetic sound than their previous works, Lovejoy is well on their way to making this new era a reality.

The lyrics on “Call Me What You Like” paint a vivid picture of a relationship that is both uncertain and driven by a deep desire for connection. The chorus of the song is particularly powerful; the lead vocalist sings "You can call me what you like / As long as you call me." By expressing their willingness to accept any label or name as long as it comes from the person they care about, the band is making a powerful statement about the value of human relationships and the lengths people will go to in order to feel seen and understood. In the first verse, the sonics are simple, with the guitar mainly carrying the track, but as the song moves into the chorus, it becomes more intense and aggressive, with the pace picking up and the compressed drums and bass beginning to drive the beat.

The second verse explores the uncertain nature of the relationship, with Lovejoy unsure if their crush wants or needs them. Lyrics like “And you can taste thе beer / On every guy that talks to you” inspire a sense of jealousy or insecurity that is relatable to anyone who has found themselves in a complicated situation. This detailed lyricism paints a vivid and relatable picture of Lovejoy’s insecurity in their relationships.

The thematic undertone shifts dramatically with the bridge as Lovejoy acknowledges their own flaws, paranoia, and anxiety. This vulnerability and self-awareness is a welcome contrast to the bitter and accusatory tone sprinkled throughout the rest of the song. It adds a layer of complexity to the themes already explored in "Call Me What You Like," including the desire for connection and validation, the uncertainty of relationships, and the challenges of accepting one's flaws and vulnerabilities. By acknowledging their own struggles with paranoia and anxiety, these lyrics bring a level of introspection and self-awareness that deepens the emotional impact of the song. The sound in the bridge builds a feeling of suspense employing a slower tempo and a more subdued mix. In the absence of heavy instrumentation, Gold's vocals take center stage, particularly in the line, "I'm not paranoid, I'm a realist."

While Lovejoy's "Call Me What You Like" is a powerful track, it's not without its flaws.The vocal editing in the chorus detracts from the song's overall intensity and quality. Although at times the vocals don't quite cut through the mix, and the production feels sloppy in places, which takes away from the song's potential impact — nevertheless, the punchy instrumentation and meaningful lyrics in the chorus demonstrate the band's potential for creating memorable and emotionally charged music.

Overall, Lovejoy's "Call Me What You Like" explores the complexities of human relationships in a way that is both relatable and emotionally resonant. The song's vivid imagery and emotionally charged language make it a standout track that is sure to connect with listeners on a deeply personal level.

MusicArts