What the Hell Happened: Jeff Koons Sculpture Shattered

One of Koons's stainless steel balloon animal sculptures.
One of Koons's stainless steel balloon animal sculptures. By Courtesy of TBAOMX 3iiLAU, Wikimedia Commons
By Rachel A. Beard, Contributing Writer

The Art Wynwood festival in Miami turned chaotic when a sculpture by famed artist Jeff Koons was accidentally destroyed. The sculpture, titled “Balloon Dog (Blue),” was on display during a VIP preview event hosted by Bel-Air Fine Art at Art Wynwood when a woman allegedly bumped into it, causing it to fall off its stand and shatter into pieces.

The small glass sculpture is valued at $42,000 and makes up one of the many iconic balloon animal sculptures of various colors and sizes created by Koons. The incident drew a large crowd as the sound of the sculpture shattering echoed through the event space.

Some attendees initially thought that the sculpture's destruction was part of a larger performance art exhibit. However, it quickly became apparent that the piece was broken by accident, and an art advisor at the event told the Miami Herald that the woman responsible was an art collector who simply bumped into the sculpture. According to other sources, the woman touched the sculpture on purpose, not realizing it would fall. If true, this is a testament to people’s carelessness towards art, even at a VIP event with art world insiders.

Fortunately, the artwork was covered by insurance, and an insurance expert will evaluate the broken pieces of the sculpture. The visitor responsible for the accident will not be charged for the damage.

Koons’s balloon animal sculptures are some of his most famous works, and he has sold pieces for some of the highest prices ever paid for art by a living artist. Koons’s balloon animal sculptures are known for their incredibly realistic appearances and pop culture references. The now-destroyed "Balloon Dog (Blue)" was one of 799 sculptures in the series, which has now been reduced to 798 sculptures that still remain intact.

Bel-Air Fine Art’s district manager, Cédric Boero, told CNN that the sculpture was valued at $24,000 a year ago, but the price went up as other iterations of the sculpture sold out. Another version of “Balloon Dog (Blue)” sold for over $70,000 in Germany in 2021.

The broken sculpture drew offers from attendees who wanted to purchase the now-destroyed piece. Artist and art collector Stephen Gamson, who was in attendance at the event, posted pictures and videos of the broken sculpture on his Instagram, expressing interest in buying the shattered pieces.

“I find value in it even when it's broken,” Gamson told the Miami Herald. “To me, it's the story. It makes the art even more interesting.”

The shattered sculpture caused quite a commotion at the art festival, and as staff members worked to clean up the broken pieces, some attendees wondered if the destruction was a performance art piece in itself.

However, the incident ultimately served as a reminder that accidents can happen, even at prestigious art events, and also perhaps that people can be careless and need to be more mindful. As the broken pieces of the sculpture are evaluated by an insurance expert, the shattered artwork will continue to be a subject of interest and discussion in the art community. The broken “Balloon Dog (Blue)” may no longer be a complete piece of art, but its story and the attention it drew at Art Wynwood will likely live on in the art world for years to come.

ArtsCulture