‘The Prom’ Review: An Intimate Musical Brimming With Energy

SpeakEasy Stage Company's Production of "The Prom."
SpeakEasy Stage Company's Production of "The Prom." By Courtesy of Nile Scott Studios
By Angelina X. Ng, Contributing Writer

Despite being a relatively new musical, there have been many productions of “The Prom” since its first performance in 2016, including a film adaptation. Directed by Paul Daigneault, SpeakEasy Stage Company’s recent production of “The Prom” is more intimate and — despite some hiccups — an emotionally-charged musical worth seeing.

“The Prom” follows the story of Emma (Liesie Kelly), a high school student in Indiana who sparks controversy when she announces her intention to bring her girlfriend to prom. Drawn to the news by their desire to do good (or rather, their desire to be publicly seen doing good), four Broadway has-beens, Dee Dee (Mary Callanan), Barry (Johnny Kuntz), Trent (Jared Troilo) and Angie (Lisa Yuen), arrive in Emma’s town to demand justice and equality.

Throughout the musical, the stage transforms into several settings, including a bedroom, a high school hallway, and an Applebee’s. The scenic design is understandably light on set pieces, which works more effectively in some scenes than others. For example, the simplicity makes the opening number, “Changing Lives,” feel underwhelming in comparison to the glitz and glamor alluded to in the book and the expressive lyrics.

On the other hand, the cozy staging in “Unruly Heart” works to compliment the deeply personal message of Emma’s struggle to be accepted and to accept herself. More energetic numbers such as “It’s Not About Me” suffer from the sparse set design. For example, in a dramatic scene where Dee Dee boisterously swoops into the unsuspecting Indiana town of Edgewater, the understated set causes the moment to fall flat.

Nevertheless, the musical’s humor consistently shines. Perhaps one of the most hilarious numbers was “The Acceptance Song,” led by the well-meaning yet bumbling Trent, who attempts a dazzling musical number to promote acceptance among the bigoted Indiana population. The over-enthusiastic singing from the four Broadway actors, interspersed with the less-than-enthusiastic response from their audience, made for a delightful contrast. In the plot, the performance represents the silly halftime show of a monster truck rally, which further adds to the humor of the scene.

The musical is strongest when it embraces its own absurdity and larger-than-life characters. The interactions between Barry and Emma are particularly sweet as Barry’s enthusiasm coaxes Emma out of her shell. “Tonight Belongs To You,” a song in which Barry helps Emma prepare for the prom, is charming because of its palpable excitement; equally charming are their heart-to-heart conversations.

The romance between Alyssa (Abriel Coleman) and Emma is not as compelling as it could have been. Though perhaps not the fault of this particular production but rather the musical’s book, the character of Alyssa feels underdeveloped and the tensions with her mother are neither as evident nor as emotional as they could have been. Though Alyssa has her own song (“Alyssa Greene”) to express the pressures she feels in fulfilling her mother’s expectations to be intelligent, beautiful, and straight, her character development up to this point does not make the song as emotionally impactful as it could have been.

However, the youthful energy of SpeakEasy Stage Company’s cast was on full display. The ensemble, composed of young people playing characters in Emma and Alyssa’s high school, were dynamic and exciting to watch, particularly during the musical numbers. In particular, the choreography was invigorating; “You Happened” and “It’s Time To Dance” featured dance breaks emanating with joy.

Ultimately, “The Prom” is an emotional musical that, at its core, celebrates accepting oneself and embracing others — a timeless message that still rings true. Though SpeakEasy Stage Company’s production may have a few flaws, it still promises a fun night out at the theater and an uplifting story that is well worth a watch.

TheaterArts