‘Lonely Dancers’ Single Review: Conan Gray Discovers 1980s Synth-Pop

2.5 Stars

“Lonely Dancers” by Conan Gray was released on Friday, Feb. 9.
“Lonely Dancers” by Conan Gray was released on Friday, Feb. 9. By Courtesy of Conan Gray / Republic Records
By Gabrielle A. David, Contributing Writer

Short and electronic, Conan Gray’s new single “Lonely Dancers” gives a taste of what to expect in his upcoming third album — “Found Heaven,” set to release on April 5.

“Lonely Dancers” is the fourth single released from the album thus far. It opens with a bright synth-pop sound reminiscent of “Never Ending Song,” another single in the lineup. This sound adds a 1980s feel to the song, giving it danceability and a nostalgic essence.

The track brings a complete genre and vocal shift to Gray’s discography. Compared to his first two albums, with their slower, more melancholic melodies set in a more alternative pop framework, “Lonely Dancers” pulls a 180-degree spin and lights up the room with its flair of energy. The song also starts with Gray singing in a lower range, which hasn’t been heard much in his other work. With an emphasis on this new sound, there is reason to suspect this new album will be more upbeat and diverse in range.

The song’s premise, despite its sonic profile, is loneliness exacerbated by recent heartbreak. In the wake of these emotions, all there is left to do is dance the night away to forget yesterday. Take the lines of the refrain: “We’re lonely dancers / Join me for the night / We’re lonely dancers, baby / Dance with me so we don’t cry.” These lyrics suggest the camaraderie felt by those in heartbreak: a sense of being alone together.

Regardless of the track’s new musical style, the lyrics and vocals are a bit lacking. The song starts with the refrain and has only one verse and a very short, simple bridge. At only two and a half minutes long and riddled with repeated lines, the song is too short to really shine. The bridge is only seven lines and brings with it a subpar rhyme choice: “Forget that guy / He don’t know love / I hope he dies.” It screams cliché and transports the song’s theme from post-heartache to desperation mixed with egotism — “Screw that guy, and choose me instead.” But given the bridge’s last line, “Tonight you’re mine,” repeated four times — it’s not really a choice

In addition, Gray displays his lower range in an overly stylized, forced fashion. His immediate jump from a low to high range at the start of the song is a bit jarring as well. The track’s appeal in fun musicality and a decent hook is lost in its short length and repetitive nature. This song works for a quick, lonely dance, but after repetition it becomes annoying. Here’s to hoping the album doesn’t share the same one-and-done fate.

MusicArts