Matisyahu Concert Review: Constant Energy and Cohesive Sound

Matisyahu played at the Paradise Rock Club on March 16.
Matisyahu played at the Paradise Rock Club on March 16. By Courtesy of Aiden J. Bowers
By Aiden J. Bowers, Crimson Staff Writer

On March 16, the Paradise Rock Club in Boston was abuzz with the dazzling lights and soulful groove of alternative reggae rock as musician Matisyahu took the stage for his “Hold The Fire” tour, supporting his new EP by the same name. This is not the first time the Paradise Rock Club has been graced by his groovy presence; rather, the club is something of a heritage site for Matisyahu fans.

“I think this is one of the first clubs we ever played at in, like, 2003,” the singer noted.

It’s no surprise that Matisyahu is a repeat performer at the Paradise Rock Club, either, as the venue appears to be the perfect place to share his sound. The performers — including Matisyahu himself and the band that accompanies him — and audience seem to fill the space. More importantly, the sound mixing and acoustics of the dimly lit hall accentuated his alternative reggae style with strong bass and clear tone. This combination allowed both the driving beat and his sharp vocals — and incredible beatboxing — to shine as he performed a mix of classic favorites like “Surrender,” “Time of Your Song,” and “Live Like a Warrior” and new music from his EP like “End of the World.” Matisyahu and his band flawlessly pulled off their new music for the first time in concert: Songs new and old were treated with the same comfort and familiarity. While there were a few bits of feedback and other technical difficulties, nothing lasted more than a brief moment nor threatened the well-cultivated atmosphere of the performance.

This combination allowed both the driving beat and his sharp vocals — and incredible beatboxing — to shine.
This combination allowed both the driving beat and his sharp vocals — and incredible beatboxing — to shine. By Courtesy of Aiden J. Bowers

This atmosphere was fueled by dynamic lighting, coherent sound, and high energy from the performers. Notably, the colorful and emotive lighting onstage shifted with the timbre and mood of the music. Introspective moments were bathed in cool light; when the tempo accelerated in the song “Jerusalem,” the lights flared up to boost the excitement of the moment — a similar effect brought the eventual encore of hit “One Day” to a rapturous conclusion.

This atmosphere was fueled by dynamic lighting, coherent sound, and high energy from the performers.
This atmosphere was fueled by dynamic lighting, coherent sound, and high energy from the performers. By Courtesy of Alyssia U. P. Wiesenbauer

Of course, none of this pomp would matter if the music was not strong on its own. From opening alternative band Cydeways to the headliner himself, the nonstop sound was thoroughly integrated and well-chosen. The members of Cydeways joined Matisyahu for the remainder of the concert as part of his band — a physical representation of the cohesive flow of sound.

Not all of the concert was well-paced, however. On one occasion, Matisyahu left the stage mid-song, not to return for several minutes — much to the confusion of audience members. There was a pregnant pause between the false end of the concert and the encore. Though his improvisational beats and lyrics — and a spirited partial cover of Bob Marley and the Wailers’ “No Woman, No Cry” — added flavor and variety to the performance, at times they overstayed their welcome. This gave the overly lengthy encore a sense of being lost, as it wandered from theme to theme before returning to the “One Day” finale.

Still, Matisyahu and his band retained a high energy throughout most of the performance. From “Sunshine” to “Aish Tamid” — and even a new song set to release on March 29 — they shifted seamlessly from song to song with little breaks in between. Matisyahu stayed in constant motion throughout, grooving to the beat. This energy was infectious — not only to the members of the band accompanying him, but to the audience as well.

Despite a few minor hiccups, Matisyahu remains a talented and entertaining performer after over 20 years of making music. Returning to the stage with the energy to back his experimental and captivating sound, his performance is sure to delight and excite any and all fans of alternative and reggae music — hopefully fans will not have to wait another 20 years for him to return to the Paradise Rock Club.

Despite a few minor hiccups, Matisyahu remains a talented and entertaining performer after over 20 years of making music.
Despite a few minor hiccups, Matisyahu remains a talented and entertaining performer after over 20 years of making music. By Courtesy of Alyssia U. P. Wiesenbauer

—Staff writer Aiden J. Bowers can be reached at aiden.bowers@thecrimson.com.

MusicArtsMetro Arts