Artist Profile: Finn O. Glew ’25 on Shattering Gender Norms with Commodore Scott

Finn O. Glew '25 with Commodore Scott merchandise.
Finn O. Glew '25 with Commodore Scott merchandise. By Courtesy of Finn O. Glew
By Ashley Liu, Contributing Writer

Walking by the Fabrication Lab, tucked within Harvard’s Science Center, passersby can often find Finn O. Glew ’25 meticulously working on pieces for his very own fashion brand. Driven by a passion for entrepreneurship and sustainability, Glew is dedicated to combating toxic masculinity and environmental degradation by building an impactful company. This personal mission has transformed into the creation of his brand, Commodore Scott.

Based in Cambridge, MA, Commodore Scott provides consumers with T-shirts and hoodies of a pink and white color scheme, breaking the mold of the colors traditionally offered in menswear. Commodore Scott strives to incorporate “traditionally feminine colors” into its designs, said Glew.

Since the Great Male Renunciation of the 18th century, men’s fashion has rejected vibrancy and elaborate shapes, leaving such design elements only to women’s fashion. Later, in the 20th century, advertising campaigns inadvertently gendered pink as a feminine color. Since then, marketing campaigns have further cemented this idea, and pink is still generally associated with femininity today.

Glew explained that Commodore Scott allows men to break free from the confinements of rigid cultural expectations, reintroducing vibrancy and color into men’s fashion; At Commodore Scott, pink is for everyone.

In recent years, there has been a growing shift in the general consciousness around the movement of breaking down these gender norms and questioning what defines masculinity. While the once-rigid conception of gendered clothing is being slowly dismantled, such efforts are most often seen only in high fashion and celebrity culture — as seen by Harry Styles when he wore a dress on the cover of Vogue in 2020.

“The goal is just to make the things that aren’t being made and bring with that this message of [a] new man — [a] healthy man — who can express himself,” Glew said.

Through their launches, Commodore Scott is bringing the movement to the average consumer by making this fashion more attainable.

Through customer surveys, Glew has learned that many men are going to women’s sections in stores in an attempt to find more colors and silhouettes. However, the search for an article of clothing that fits them can be time-consuming and difficult. Commodore Scott meets this need and brings accessible, norm-breaking fashion to the everyday man.

Beyond its mission of redefining masculinity, Commodore Scott is also dedicated to sustainability and slow fashion, which focuses on improving the quality of garments so that they can last longer. In 2023, the fashion industry produced 97 million tons of waste, according to Royal Waste Services, Inc., and Glew prides himself on reducing the environmental impact of Commodore Scott. With the first collection being handmade by Glew and all following collections being limited and made by a “master pattern-maker,” Glew is taking an untraditional approach to fashion production.

Most recently, Glew has been developing a new product that is going to be made from heavyweight fabric, providing customers with a top that is structured yet flowy while maintaining an affordable price. This style will be something that “has never been seen before,” said Glew.

While Commodore Scott is currently e-commerce-based, Glew is looking to expand into physical stores. In the future, Glew hopes to reach more consumers “who are looking to stand out” with Commodore Scott’s products.

While he did not expect to start a fashion brand, Glew saw a gap in the fashion world and created Commodore Scott to address it. Glew’s message to all hopeful entrepreneurs, specifically those who have climate-friendly aspirations, is simple: “Doing it the hard way — doing it the sustainable way — can work.”

ArtsCulture