University Fashion Culture Amidst a Drought of Mainstream Originality

The pressure to conform can be particularly pronounced, as students are navigating not only academic challenges but also the complexities of wanting to both fit in and stand out in the realm of self-expression.
The pressure to conform can be particularly pronounced, as students are navigating not only academic challenges but also the complexities of wanting to both fit in and stand out in the realm of self-expression. By Sophia Salamanca
By Melina Fonseca, Contributing Writer

Coastal Granddaughter, Rockstar Girlfriend, Eclectic Grandpa, Mob Wife are all fashion aesthetics that have made an appearance in fashion culture in the last few years. As such trends emerge, they become more and more hyperspecific, symbolizing a general social shift toward increasingly niche and specialized styles.

This revolving door of aesthetics reflects a desire for a constant change in self-expression. However, this proliferation of trends also produces a saturation of microtrends where everything is simultaneously “in” yet also ephemeral.

Championed by social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok, there is a lack of consensus on what is in the mainstream vogue. For example, while loud logos may be integral to the aesthetic of street style, they are simultaneously the antithesis of the quiet luxury trend.

In a sense, it seems that, as the fashion world experiences such a large influx of subgenres catered and made accessible to all audiences, society is losing its previous predilection for homogeneity in fashion.

Evidently, traditional fashion norms are seeing the demise of consistency, failing to define which era of fashion we currently live in. Microtrends tend to result in the absence of the enduring cultural influences that previously defined iconic fashion movements, prompting the question of whether the rapid turnover of trends are diluting the impact of fashion on broader cultural narratives.

How does this relentless pursuit of staying on trend translate into the context of universities? The pressure to conform can be particularly pronounced, as students are navigating not only academic challenges but also the complexities of wanting to both fit in and stand out in the realm of self-expression.

Despite a lack of consistency in the everyday fashion scene, college campuses foster a variety of personal styles and unique fashion choices along with university practicality. From the avant-garde to the classic, from the minimalist to the eclectic, college campuses serve as a melting pot of self-expression, where students engage with fashion as a means of identity.

First and foremost, comfort is a priority. With busy schedules and varying weather conditions, functionality and versatility are a must when considering daily outfits. Cindy Escalera ’27 said that, due to the dynamic lifestyle of a college student, the balance between style and practicality is important.

“I feel like in college and university, it’s a lot more normalized to wear PJs to class. It’s all acceptable to walk around in whatever. People aren’t judging you because they know that you have things going on,” Escalera said.

Similarly, Mary-Aliya Turay ’27 noticed the same pattern as a part of college culture.

“I think it’s mostly very casual here, and people are just dressing to go to classes, and I think that’s because of our workload, honestly. We’re so stressed out, there’s no time to do anything,” Turay said.

Even while wearing more casual outfits to alleviate the stress of class, students still find a way to implement their own personal style in their clothing. Nadya J. Dhillon ’27, for example, mentioned the role of individuality in self-expression.

“I feel like everyone has their own little things that they do. For me, I like wearing jewelry; I dyed my hair randomly,” Dhillon said.

Turay also discusses the cultural significance of making her outfits and clothing her own.

“I’m Sierra Leonean, so I like to try to go back to my roots. Especially growing up as first-generation American, so looking for cultural clothes like that,” Turay said.

Dhillon and Turay also agree that buying clothing second-hand is an asset in cultivating their personal style. 1.4 billion secondhand clothing pieces were purchased in the U.S. in 2022.

“I do like to go thrifting as a social experience, but also it’s just interesting if you’re trying to make an outfit using something you usually wouldn’t know what to do with,” Dhillon said.

Within recent years, thrifting has become a popular trend among teenagers and young adults. It has helped cultivate personal styles and expression, allowing people to create their own curated wardrobe.

“I thrift a lot of my clothes, so I try to see things that speak to me,” Turay said.

Although college campuses can be inundated with the stresses of assignments and studying, there still exists a palpable sense of individuality in the fashion choices made by students. Whether it’s integrating small aspects of their identity into their outfits or sustainably purchasing items outside of the mainstream fashion brands, students are embracing their creativity and wearing it on their sleeves.

ArtsCulture