Young Politicians Share Experiences, Advice on Running for Office at Harvard IOP Forum

The Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics hosted a discussion Wednesday evening on the experience of young people running for office.
The Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics hosted a discussion Wednesday evening on the experience of young people running for office. By Selorna A. Ackuayi
By Hiral M. Chavre and Andrew Yu, Contributing Writers

Four young politicians discussed connecting with voters and offered advice for aspiring politicians in a panel at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics on Wednesday.

Moderated by CNN associate writer Rachel H. Janfaza ’20, the founder of The Up and Up and a former Crimson Magazine editor, and Anjali K. Krishnamurti ’27, director of ideation for the JFK Jr. Forum, the event featured former Republican Iowa State Representative Joe Mitchell, founder and president of Run Gen Z; David M. Hogg ’23, co-founder of Leaders We Deserve; Anna Thomas, a candidate for Pennsylvania state representative; and Valerie McDonnell, a Republican state representative from New Hampshire.

During the forum, the panelists spoke about their experiences as the younger generation in politics, beginning by emphasizing the importance of grassroots organization.

Thomas spoke about running for state representative in Pennsylvania, recalling how she knocked on 8,000 doors to connect with local citizens.

“When you do that kind of voter contact, that creates an internal sense of self and purpose for the campaign that is self-sustaining and self-motivating,” she said. “When you create genuine connections with people, that’s actually what brings you across the finish line.”

McDonnell agreed on the importance of establishing strong relationships as a young politician.

McDonnell said she began running for office “two years ago in high school — senior year.”

“I relied largely on the connections I already met,” she said.

Thomas said candidates should listen thoughtfully to their constituents.

“Really, the most meaningful cultural changes happen when they are not handed down from a place of ‘I’m better than you, I know better than you,’ but really from a place of first listening,” she said. “I put myself in a place where I am listening, so that I am able to build that empathy and rapport so that I can actually get a true sense of what it is that they need from me.”

“I can tell you the secret sauce that no one talks about,” Thomas said. “When you’re young, it’s like, ‘you’re scrappy, you can do it all, you don’t need anybody, right?’”

“But in reality, you really need a lot of people,” she said.

During the event, panelists also pointed to the significance of collaborating with older peers in politics who have spent more time in the arena.

“They have the experience,” McDonnell said. “They have those political connections that are really important and crucial.”

Still, Hogg — one of the co-founders of gun control activist organization March for Our Lives — advised younger aspiring politicians to approach mentorship opportunities with caution, being aware of the many complex dynamics within the political realm.

Local elected officials may have “a lot more influence” than candidates realize, Hogg said, adding that mentors should teach younger generations “not to anger people that they don’t even know exist.”

The panelists also provided advice on campaign finances, recommending that candidates save money by keeping their teams small.

McDonnell pointed to campaign graphic designers as one particular area “you could save money on.”

Hogg also advised aspiring candidates to avoid hiring consultants, since “at the end of the day, they are still there to make money.”

Mitchell encouraged those interested in running for office to simply take the leap.

“There is never a good time to run for office,” he said. “Every time in your life you’re going to think to yourself, well, it’s not a good time because I’m in college or I just got married or I just started a business.”

“Just run now,” Mitchell said.

CollegeIOPPoliticsPolitical Groups