The Path to Public Service at SEAS
Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum
Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President
Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study
Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum
As the men’s volleyball team opens its 2011 season with a home match against Newbury tonight at the MAC, the Full Court Press chats with junior co-captain Matt Jones about the wildness of men’s volleyball matches. With Enya and excited fans backing him up, the team’s leading server explains why Princeton should watch out. The California “sex panther” is ready to go.
Name: Matt Jones
Stats: The Adams resident started his career at Harvard with 3.07 kills per set his freshman year. Improving his sophomore season, Jones had a team-high 23 service aces last year, as well as 314 kills and 44 blocks, finishing 18th in the nation with 4.13 kills per set.
Bring on the questions!
1.Typical pre-game meal.
I don't eat. I like to watch my figure.
2. List four songs you listen to before games to get pumped up.
Anything by Enya.
3. Favorite team to play against and why?
Princeton. We haven't beaten them yet in my two years here, but I am hoping to be a part of the first Harvard team to beat them in many years.
4. Most ridiculous thing that has taken place in your team's locker room.
5. Most embarrassing moment you've had on the court.
My freshman year, we were playing at George Mason in the playoffs, and my hair was pretty long at the time. Every time you go back to serve in volleyball, it is called "going a full rotation." When I went back to serve the second time, the George Mason student section behind me said, "Hey Matt, have you really gone a whole rotation without getting your haircut?" I, and everyone on the bench who heard, started laughing. I had to give them credit for that one.
6. Animal that best represents your style of play and why.
Sex panther. Sixty percent of the time, it works all the time.
7. Most ridiculous thing you have heard a fan yell at a game you were playing in.
We played a team at home one time who had a pretty short setter. One of our fans kept asking him questions about why he was playing so badly but referred to him as Frodo the entire time.
8. If you could play for another sports team at Harvard, which would it be and why?
Basketball team. It's been my favorite sport since I was four.
9. Position you would play in Quidditch.
Seeker. Let's be honest, every other position is irrelevant.
10. If you could go on a date with any professional athlete, who would it be and where would you take him/her?
Probably a man date with LaDainian Tomlinson. Growing up a Chargers fan, he is like a god. Also, he just seems like a really good guy who would be fun to hang out with.
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.