Columns

The Courtyards

Leafing By

In Leverett House's McKinlock Courtyard, which is nestled under large trees and between deep red brick walls, the Sun Gate sculpture by Murray Dewart '70 simultaneously functions as a piece of art while anchoring the space.
In Leverett House's McKinlock Courtyard, which is nestled under large trees and between deep red brick walls, the Sun Gate sculpture by Murray Dewart '70 simultaneously functions as a piece of art while anchoring the space. By Amy Y. Li
By Aneesh C. Muppidi, Crimson Opinion Writer
Aneesh C. Muppidi ’25 is a Computer Science and Neuroscience concentrator in Lowell House. His column, “Leafing By,” runs biweekly on Thursdays.

Why would I ever venture to Leverett, Dunster, or Kirkland outside of the rare occasion I find myself rushing through because of some mission — grabbing a meal, attending a meeting, or heading to office hours?

As a dedicated Lowellian, I’ve pondered this more times than I care to admit. Still, in my prattling about the green spaces at Harvard, I’ve arguably overlooked the real gems: the House courtyards.

While it’s certainly easy to exclusively show love to our own House courtyard — it’s right there, close to our rooms, and there’s a certain aesthetic pride that comes with it — are we not missing out?

Setting aside my Lowell biases (mostly), I want to dedicate this week to looking at my favorite House courtyards.

Leverett

Leverett House features two courtyards. In the McKinlock Courtyard, which is nestled under large trees and between deep red brick walls, the Sun Gate sculpture by Murray Dewart ’70 simultaneously functions as a piece of art while anchoring the space. However, it’s the Towers Courtyard that truly captivates, particularly at sunset. This expansive, grassy courtyard is an idyllic spot for unwinding, playing catch with friends, or simply soaking in the peaceful ambiance. Furthermore, in 2019, the courtyard became home to a student-run rain garden, an eco-friendly addition that enhanced the space's beauty.

Kirkland

Kirkland House, known for its unique sense of community, seems to embody this virtue in its main courtyard. Benches and chairs that invite easy exchanges and camaraderie truly foster a sense of togetherness. But it’s the smaller, less conspicuous Ferry Courtyard that’s the true hidden gem. This gift from Angela Ferry Schroeder ’86, is secluded and serene; it houses a majestic tree and a quaint wooden bench, creating a perfect spot for quiet reflection. Perhaps these stunning spaces compensate for Kirkland’s seemingly endless concrete staircases and the charming absence of an elevator.

Eliot

For the longest time, I found it difficult to distinguish Eliot House from its neighbor, Kirkland. Perhaps it was their close proximity or the shared kitchen tunnels that confused me. However, their courtyards are far from the same. What really captivates me about Eliot’s surprisingly spacious courtyard is the quirky corner by one of the side gates: a creative arrangement of vertical pots and plants sprouting from boxes on a stone pavement, all nestled under a canopy of leaves, a charming, unexpected touch.

The Lowell courtyards feature benches, hammocks, and games.
The Lowell courtyards feature benches, hammocks, and games. By Aneesh C. Muppidi

Lowell

As a Lowellian, I may be a bit biased, but I firmly believe that Lowell boasts some of the most visually pleasing courtyards. In the fall, they transform into something truly divine; towering trees with dominating trunks become the source of a constant yellow stream, creating a picturesque scene as the leaves gently cascade to the ground. The two courtyards, lined with stone benches and filled with hammocks, offer a striking contrast to Lowell’s bell tower. It's hard not to romanticize Lowell's courtyards when you’re sitting under the trees, feeling the gentle touch of falling leaves on your lap.

Dunster

With its stunning view of the Charles River, elevated by a gold and red ornate clock and brick patio, Dunster’s courtyard is especially charming. Like other Houses, the hammocks are among its best-used amenities along with tables and chairs that are perfectly set up for dinners or tea. However, what truly sets Dunster apart is the way the trees bordering the river gate radiate golden hues during the fall. In the glow of the evening, this courtyard exudes a sense of pure peace.

Adams

Randolph Hall’s Courtyard has recently undergone a grand reopening during Adams House’s extensive renovations, and the excitement is palpable. Admitting this may be tough for a Lowellian, but Randolph’s courtyard could very well be the most beautiful of them all. Its immaculate grass, red brick pavements, and stone benches effortlessly guide your gaze to the impressive main hall door. On top of this, Randolph, with its red brickwork, radiates a castle-like grandeur over the green space. The allure is heightened by the beautiful white petals surrounding the Faculty Dean’s house steps and a uniquely shaped, horizontally bent tree that truly injects personality into the courtyard.

Randolph Hall’s courtyard has recently undergone a grand reopening during Adams House’s extensive renovations.
Randolph Hall’s courtyard has recently undergone a grand reopening during Adams House’s extensive renovations. By Aneesh C. Muppidi

Honorable Mentions

I can almost hear Quincy and Winthrop residents readying their defenses. Yes, your courtyards are indeed pretty. And to the Mather residents: Navigating your concrete haven can be tough, but your “At least we have singles!” mantra has some greenery to back it up. The courtyard's commendable rain garden and trees amidst the gravel do soften the stark concrete vibe, bringing a much-needed touch of nature. To show some love my quadling friends, it's worth mentioning the Quad lawn’s serene, quiet, and well-maintained space. The grass sets the perfect stage for uninterrupted frisbee matches, free from the curious eyes of tourists that often roam the river courtyards.

So, there you have it — a tour of the House courtyards, minus most of the usual Lowell bias. Next time you're sprinting to another House’s dining hall, take a moment to pause, relax, and find a new way to escape.

Columns