THE GRAY COLLECTION.

EDITORS OF THE "MAGENTA."

GENTLEMEN, - In an interesting notice of the Gray Engravings, in the last number of your paper, the writer referred to my proposed scheme of photographing the collection. His statements were, I believe, correct, excepting in one point which nearly concerns the publishers; and for their sake I make this correction. The photographs, it was said, were to be on sale at a book-store in Cambridge; they may be, but not through College authority. Messrs. Osgood & Co. issue the photographs in their own style and at their own price, and sell them through any dealer they please; but in return for this they furnish the College with a special edition at the bare cost of printing, which edition can be sold only by the Curator, and not by him for purposes of future sale. This sale, however, is not limited to undergraduates; any person can obtain the prints by application at the Curator's room in the Library. The prices are essentially as named in your article; prints six inches by eight costing about twenty cents, larger ones in somewhat less proportion per square inch.

By the middle of next week I hope to have twenty-five copies of each of the first dozen subjects. Notice of their arrival will be posted in the Library, and of the times when they can be bought at the Curator's room.

It will be understood that the collection makes no moneyed profit from any of these sales. Its object is simply to foster the growing taste in the community for the higher forms of Art. Beauty cannot be known till seen; till the mind, indeed, is brought into somewhat familiar contact with it. By making beautiful objects easily accessible, the College may hope that its students will soon prefer these to the inane works which now decorate too many of their rooms. The keen interest which many of you are already showing is, I assure you, a source of sincere satisfaction to

Yours very truly,

GEO. H. PALMER,Curator Gray Collection of Engravings.