POLITICAL ECONOMY.

Courses of Study for 1883-84.

Arrangements recently completed have enabled the college to offer a more extended course of study in Political Economy than that which has been announced. A full statements to be substituted for that given on page 14 of the Elective Pamphlet, will be found below.

On page 15 of the pamphlet, line 13, for Course 6 read Course 7.

1. Mill's Principles of Political Economy.-Lectures on Banking and the Financial Legislation of the United States. Mon., Wed., Fri., at 9. Prof. Dunbar and Asst. Prof. Laughlin.

2. History of Economic Theory and a Critical Examination of Leading Writers.-Lectures.-Mon., Wed. at 2 and (at the pleasure of the instructor) Fri. at 2. Prof. Dunbar.

3. Discussion of Practical Economic Questions.-Theses, Tu., Th., at 3, and a third hour to be appointed by the instructor. Assistant Professor Laughlin.

4. Economic History of Europe and America since the Seven Years' War. Lectures. Mon., Wed., Fri., at 11. Professor Dunbar.

Course 4 requires no previous study of Political Economy.

5. Economic Effects of Land Tenures in England, Ireland, France and Germany.-Theses. Once a week, counting as a half course. Asst. Professor Laughlin.

6. History of Tariff Legislation in the United States. Once a week, counting as a half course. Mr. Taussig.

7. Comparison of the Financial Systems of France, England, Germany and the United States. Tu., at 2, counting as a half course. Professor Dunbar.

As a preparation for Courses 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 it is necessary to have passed satisfactorily in Course 1.

Course 1 is in Examination Group I.; Course 2, in Group V.; Course 3, in Group XII.; Course 4, in Group III.; Course 7, in Group XI.

The first two courses are intended to present the principles of the science, while the remaining five treat the subject in its historical and practical aspects. No. 2 will take up the principal writers of the present day, as Cairns, Carey and George, together with the current literature of the science. No times of recitation have been assigned to courses 5 and 6, as this will be arranged between the instructors and the students choosing the course. The department intend issuing a full descriptive pamphlet describing the different courses, which can be had at the office in a few days.